Sign in to follow this  
Guest MP0wer

Anybody exprienced auto transmission slipping problems?

Guest MP0wer

I have had some experience with a couple of BMW Slushy boxes, where the trans would slip and the oil and filter refresh on them always solved the problem. I was looking at a few cars on trademe, found couple e36's, with the only problem being the transmission slips after driving it for a while, otherwise very immaculate cars going for dirt cheap.

Edited by MP0wer

Fluid and filter change should sort it. Lifetime fills are complete and utter rubbish. (Unless lifespan is severely curtailed in some way...)

That said, autoboxes do have a lifespan. There are many reports of the GM 5L40e (BMW A5S360R) failing at under 200,000 miles (320,000km) so ours is very much on borrowed time. The only time we had any problems with it was after having the fluid drained and replaced - I specifically stated I did not want a flush, but I have my suspicions about what was done, and some serious reservations about the quality of the work.

So I'm doing it again. If you want a job doing properly...

Replacement pedal box, flywheel, and other various parts fixes the problem for ever.

• Like 2

Completely ignoring Troy's suggestion ;) I've been planning preventative maintenance and checking what to do in the event of a problem.

Something which is quite common, especially it seems with the 5L40e, is torque converter chatter. This feels like a bumpy road when the road is (unusually, perhaps) not at fault.

I'd been looking at ATF additives with distinct cynicism as if ATF is so thin, how can adding something to it really help? I found details of Lubegard's "Dr Tranny's Instant Shudder Fixx", a name which gives some cause for concern.

However, those who've used it seem to think it is pretty good. You can buy it on TradeMe for about $45 a tube (from what I've seen you may need two), or from Amazon for about US $5 (plus shipping). ATPNZ appear to distribute in NZ.

There's others. Has anyone used anything and have any reports?