Sign in to follow this  
andrewm

E39 suspension overhaul insights

1999 Motorsport 540i with 132,000km all original suspension.

Here's some notes for people considering changing suspension parts.

Thrust arms bush was shot, balljoint was good

Front straight control arm, bush looked fine and balljoint seemed alright but was a noticeable improvement when changed

Swaybar links front were fine

Swaybar links rear were shot

Both rear control arms had torn boots on the balljoint but seemed ok, noticeable improvement when changed.

Rear balljoints were shot

Shocks were all dead, fronts were completely shot, rears were just bad.

If you get height adjustable coilovers 10kg front and 8kg rear is stiff and as high as you should go on a daily.

If you get coilovers then get thrust bearings or similar to avoid coilover noise.

You can use 5/8 instead of 16mm as there are a few 16mm nuts and bolts

You will need an 18mm socket

Thrust arms and rear balljoints were huge improvements when changed

Rear balljoint has a 24mm and will need a minimum 1ft breaker bar or large torque wrench to undo

Jack up both sides at the same time to remove swaybar links otherwise they will have tension on them.

Record your hub to guard height so you can jack up hubs to torque bushes under load.

You will need a meaty balljoint splitter for thrust arms, you will need a decent tool for rear balljoints.

I went for drives several times during the process so I can provide some feedback on what part fixed what problem.

Clunk when one wheel goes over a bump before the other/general loos feeling when going over speed bumps turned out to be thrust arm bushes for me.

Rear end looseness and shimmy from the rear when cornering and going over small bumps was rear balljoint for me. The other control arms just seemed to soften the damping, now the rides is more comfortable and more quiet.

New shocks don't hiss over bumps, car feels much 'tighter' absorbs shocks now and stays planted rather than bouncing over them.

Happy to answer questions or lend a hand, am in hill park manurewa.

Edited by andrewm
  • Like 1

Mine eats front thrust arm bushes, last time i put whiteline (?) urethane ones in and they made a big difference, and seem to be lasting well.

Have you done rear subframe bushes yet?

I bought powerflex urethane one but didn't like them, noticeably harsher so I bought Meyle HD solid rubber ones and they have plastic reinforcements where the OEM ones tear. They are good so far... Did you load the suspension before torquing?

I had intended to but I have no issues anymore with suspension so I will hold off for now.

Will probably do them with engine mounts and transmission mounts in a year or so.