Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Help please - Cracks in Dash

I have quite a few cracks in the dash of my e30, and while I have another dash with only one minor crack in it, I was wondering whether anyone had fixed, or at least made it look better. If so what did you do? I will eventually replace mine but would like members opinions first. Also, does anyone know where I can get a dash cap or mat? - Most of the ones I have seen on the net are for left hand drive only.

can just get em fixed.

dave and andy also maybe gus have done it..

heard the swap is a c**t and to avoid it..

apparently the patch up jobs work quite well too.

try pm them.

You can do vinyl welding but its usually not the vinyl that's cracked but the foam underneath so the cracks will just come right back anyway. I've learnt to just live with it.

Black auto silicone works a treat, not perfect, but a damn sight better. Press into crack with wet finger and remove excess. Simple.

Thanks for that info - yes I am considering black silicon as probably my only option. I know that you can buy dash caps in the States that give excellent results but have yet to find one for right hand drive.

Replace it, not that hard to do, just the air vents can be a c**t, but hey who needs air in their face? open a damn window. Also good if you are putting aftermarket sounds in your car, yu can tidy up all the wiring really easily. Is also good to pull apart/put back together just for the sake of knowing where things go behind the dash.

fill them..

mix 1part dishwashing liquid

and 1 part best foods mayonaise(dont skimp here, it as to be best foods!!)

with 3 parts shoe nugget..

mix till its a thick smooth peanut butter consistency and apply liberally!

So does that mixture actually dry out or what? Sounds interesting. Will replace my dash eventually but being a cheap arse at the moment ;)

So does that mixture actually dry out or what? Sounds interesting. Will replace my dash eventually but being a cheap arse at the moment ;)

yeah man go for it!

Appealing as smothering my dash with a butter substitute may have been ;) I have gone out and bout a dash with no cracks and will fit over the summer break. Cheers