Sign in to follow this  
kiwiland

Dreaded ABS/ASC lights

Have had an intermittent case of both lights coming on and speedo not working. Next start-up returned to normal (phew!!). What are the options and rough costs involved in fixing this? Car is 530i with 65k on the clock?

worth getting the car scanned, but sounds like something to do with a faulty ABS sensor to me, back left wheel is the speed pickup as well. Brent has fixed a few modules for me before, thats another possibility. the intermittent nature of it probably more likely to be the module, or the pickup not plugged in correctly. i would think the pickup is either alive or dead

e39 ??? common issue is the control box on the pump ,

can get them repaired . you can still drive the car with the box , just no abs or speedo

brent@bmworld.co.nz

but check all the sensors 1st .

especially the left rear one near the exhaust pipe

Same problem as happened on mine - intermittent no speedo /lights on. From memory speedo is off R/H rear sensor rather than left too.

Get it scanned but also be aware of the module giving random false fault codes - have seen this many times on cars through work.

Mine actually diagnosed itself with no fault codes, even with no speedo & lights glaring at me :wacko: Current data showed R/H rear sensor intermittently dropping out when the speedo dropped out. Smelling a rat, I monitored the voltage into/signal return from the sensor & confirmed the module dropping its output voltage to the sensor intermittently.

Unit proved unrepairable by our usual repairer so I sourced a new replacement.

PM me if you need any help

This happened on my e39, turned out to be the battery.

There's talk in another thread on here of how the batteries in e39s cause big issues if they're starting to lose their zing.

Get that checked if you can...