Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob789

E34 540i transmission

So I have a 94 540i v8 auto with the dreaded trans program,

After a good look yesterday I believe the gearbox to be stuffed as there is a not very nice clunk when I put in reverse :(

Just looking at transmissions and found an e39 5 speed auto, will that fit an e34?

If not, what models can I get one from or is it cheaper or easier for a rebuild? Does it have to be from a v8?

I've been searching heaps but can't really find what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

E39 one will fit physically but it has added electronics as the e39 has tiptronic. I looked at this years ago and going manual was the better option.

no has to be a e34 540i type as has the cooler underneath . you couold use a e32 740i with the trans lines and front cooler .

electrics have to match up.

maybe could use one from a early e38 740i m60 type , but would need to swap electrics over or swap drums , clutches etc over .

I know a good trans guy

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i
  • Like 1

no has to be a e34 540i type as has the cooler underneath . you couold use a e32 740i with the trans lines and front cooler .

maybe could use one from a early e38 740i m60 type , but would need to swap electrics over or swap drums , clutches etc over .

I know a good trans guy

Would he be able to get hold of one?

no he just rebuilds and repairs them ,

Guest MP0wer

Check your PM, Sounds like that dreaded transmission was trying to launch into first and reverse at the same time, (can destroy things!) it happens due to the design flaw plastic check valve ball that shrinks in size from heat/cold cycles, in addition to decades of neglect to service the fluids and abuse from the owners, even the tow hook is something I want to avoid in a lot of old bmws.

If the car is still drivable you could disconnect the TPS sensor plug and see if it improves and drives normal. Not sure how much a rebuild will go, but if I was in your shoes I would grab a cheap second hand transmission, get a hand to put it back in. 6 Speed swap may be too costly, its not just a direct bolt on.

E39 one will fit physically but it has added electronics as the e39 has tiptronic. I looked at this years ago and going manual was the better option.

Hmm, never thought about that, why wont the e39 work? Cant the electronics be easily connected and others manipulated or corrected? Manual would require a lot more work then just the gearbox, IIRC it needs a custom made drive shaft?

Edited by MP0wer

Or a manual driveshaft.

Guest MP0wer

Ah Yes! Missed that, but even that would be harder to come by, as it would need to be off a 540i?

Gareth, Would that 5 Speed ZF Box you got off the e36 can be made to easily fit the 540i he has? Then might just give it to him instead, as I originally was eager to purchase the 540i from him anyway.

Edited by MP0wer

Just import a kit from the US or UK. Don't my gearbox would work as first up the bellhousing would be different, don't even know where else to begin. But would be the same reason why you can't use an e36 manual box.

Guest MP0wer

He has balls floating around the transmission fluid(checked for levels), I think a rebuild wont help in terms of cost/effectiveness/time and skill. Might as well chuck in another one.

Edited by MP0wer

Guest MP0wer

I know a good trans guy

Missed that! So a transmission from a e38 740i would be swappable but electronics won't work? out of curiosity, How involved is the electrics if thats all that needs to be done or more?

E32 740 5hp-30 will fit/swap out, the e38 one will fit but the electronics/connectors insides are different.

outta luck buddy..

Edited by MP0wer