Sign in to follow this  
Federation12

320i Chasing Codes

Hi team, wondering if anyone can help me with the codes I've been chasing recently. E46 320i 6 Cylinder Automatic. Build date is 09/2000. I'm probably gonna use this thread until I can sort out the problem.

Recently I've been experiencing a rough idle, sluggish takeoffs and a loss of power low down. Posted about it here before!

I scanned the car, and got P0369 Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent Bank B, which is the exhaust side. Running a bit rough but still getting me to and from Uni I bought the part, planning on fixing it next week.

Driving home yesterday I got a shudder when accelerating, and the engine light came on. Quite a large loss of power at this stage, drove it the 10 minutes home and scanned the car. Installed the Cam Position Sensor, started the car, cleared the codes and took it for a quick drive, it drove better but not perfect. Scanning the car after the drive showed no codes immediately, I thought it would be fine for the interim.

So to the current problem, I started it this morning, by the time I plugged my phone in the car was running rough, the engine light was back on and finally it stalled.

Scanned the car and got P1353 - Misfire Cylinder 6 With Fuel Cut-Off. After a quick google, I restarted the car in the garage with the MAF removed, no stalls and it idled just fine.

Attempted to isolate the issue by swapping the coils, swapped 5 & 6, started and it ran much better, no stalls, a little rough but the best it's been in the past two weeks.

I scanned the car and the code followed the coil - P1350 Misfire During Start Cylinder 5.

The problem with this is I got quite a few codes with that:

P1348 Misfire During Start Cylinder 4

P1346 Misfire During Start Cylinder 3

P1085 Fuel Control Mixture Lean Bank 2 Sensor 1

P1083 Fuel Control Mixture Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1

I'm wondering where to go from here. Would swapping the coils trip sensors for cylinder 3 and 4 too? Vacuum leak seems to be a common problem too.

• Like 1

Get someone or a professional with the right type of scanner and a brain to check and diagnose it for you properly. If your in Auckland I can check it for you next week....just give me a call

• Like 1

I recommend taking it to Glenn.

He has a very expensive professional scanner that will pick up the codes much more accurately.

I had some faults that I scanned at home, but when I took it to him his scanner correctly revealed the fault as a different code.

Glenn is a good guy, and will probably save you money by giving a more accurate diagnosis.