Sign in to follow this  
ipwnyou

Update: The 1.6 Beast

Well its been a long and painful / expensive road, but im pretty happy with the outcome of the body on the 1.6. In the light of recent self-pwned events, I thought I would post an update at whats going on with the cabletie-holding-the-exhaust-together white beast:

Here is what it started life like:

Posted Image

Then after an encounter with a reversing honda:

Posted Image

Then after the almighty William (Topless) stepped up and gave me a lending flat-faced hammer hand and put some shape back into ye 'ol bonnet and a bit of super glue later we had some lights again! He also fitter our latest addition to the family - an iS front lip (thanks Andy!):

Posted Image

Then after a little sanding and a few coats of paint (havent clear coated yet) I have this:

Posted Image

and:

Posted Image

Its not quite matched into the paint yet, I still need to put 1 last coat of the offical BMW white (since its so expensive I just use a close match on the undercoats) and once the clearcoat its on, i'll tidy it up bigtime.

I'll post some pics later of my mint leather interior I got from Roy from Bavarian Motors out in Glenfield (good guy) aka. Royz off Trademe. Andy can lay testiment to its uberness!

I'm so jealous, looks fantastic buddy. One day I'll buy another iS lip looks cool, it really completes the look of your car.

Yeah man you couldnt have been more right when you said a month ago that an iS lip would complete the front...

lookin v cool man. dig it hard. time for some dished BBS tho? ^_^

Man as soon as I can get some Deep dish BBS's im getting them - you dont know how bad I want a set. I dont really like my wheels...but they're better than stock at the moment.

hey Gareth, how's the exhaust? any better? Got the afm and fuel pump done?

Oh yeah forgot to tell you about that - The exhaust is sweet - no issues at all, doesnt rattle or bang anymore. Got 2 AFM's - 1 didnt work, though, when we drove with it the car would just choke and die. The second one was mint though, and works sweet as. As for the fuel pump - this one is quieter than our last one, but still makes a noise. I'll keep an eye out for another quieter one, but for now i at least have a backup. Was a piece of piss to install.

We also got a new set of spark plugs from BMW and HOLY SH1T what a difference that made...we dont struggle up hills anymore and gear changing gives you that kick you're supposed to get.

Still looking at bolt-on ways to increase power - turbonator, anatomizer, flashing lights, performance stickers, ACS & M badges etc. HA!

Man as soon as I can get some Deep dish BBS's im getting them - you dont know how bad I want a set. I dont really like my wheels...but they're better than stock at the moment.

man, theres nothing cooler than E30 steelies.. true story B)

just buy them new at bmw mang, they are fairly cheap from what ive heard

man, theres nothing cooler than E30 steelies.. true story B)

just buy them new at bmw mang, they are fairly cheap from what ive heard

I was looking at getting flarred guards sometime...something like on this but nicer

As long as its >17" wheels and looks like BBS type or maybe even similar to whats in that trademe auction. Not really sure. I want a Genuine look, though.

where do u get an is front lip from?

me, i ordered it in from bmw only to have my car blow up :( I can organise you one provided you pay the bill behidn it all.

i thought they were $350

Are these components infinity? in a 5.25"?

Are your wheels on there chrome at the moment, could these be sandblasted etc, i might be keen to buy

hey Gareth, started my upgrade... gotta keep up with the 1.6 beast.. :D

Hey nice setup - alot more stylish than mine!

I run infinity all though my car, from amp to component to crossover.

i thought they were $350

Are these components infinity? in a 5.25"?

Are your wheels on there chrome at the moment, could these be sandblasted etc, i might be keen to buy

No chrome - just poorly polished metal. Could be tidyed up by hand pretty easily with alot of time and effort...so yeah, not that easily. I think i was quoted $150 per wheel to get them recondtioned...

Once I find an appropriate set of wheels for it i'll grab em - but if i get a reasonable offer on them in the meantime ill consider going to stocks until i sort something out :P

(brand new tyres BTW)

I run infinity all though my car, from amp to component to crossover.

got infinity tweeters, woofers and crossovers, amp is alpine.

car currently looks like yours did when we fitted the system, completely gutted inside.

getting really p*ssed off with the weather here, you know what my garage is like so have to work outside... hardly get going in the blazing sunshine and within 5 mins it turns to night and bloody p*sses down and i have to scramble the car back inside, 5 mins rain and the sun is out again... hate this bloody weather !!!! :finger:

can't wait to get the car back together again, hate it looking like a junkyard wreck..

got infinity tweeters, woofers and crossovers, amp is alpine.

car currently looks like yours did when we fitted the system, completely gutted inside.

getting really p*ssed off with the weather here, you know what my garage is like so have to work outside... hardly get going in the blazing sunshine and within 5 mins it turns to night and bloody p*sses down and i have to scramble the car back inside, 5 mins rain and the sun is out again... hate this bloody weather !!!! :finger:

can't wait to get the car back together again, hate it looking like a junkyard wreck..

If you want I can shoot down tomorrow and give you a hand getting it in? We will probably be going to tauranga later on in the day so we could shoot down early and give you a hand if you like.

And alpine? :puke:

Oh well, amp is amp I suppose.