Sign in to follow this  
MichaelT

Hey from a new forum member.... 2008 E90 Manual

Hey all,

Brought betty beamer a couple of years back now, I just came across this forum today whilst hunting about for some info. Car was a UK import rather than NZ new or Japanese, I thought that was a good thing having lived in the UK, but evidently not, Kiwis and the anti brit thing perhaps?

Anyways, the car hasn't been a complete delight to own, shortly after buying it I got sick, so it has spent a good deal of it's life sitting in the garage, but even that hasn't been free, it's needed four new tires, and four new cylinder things, and just this past week the heater fan died on it - it seems a little like a lot of problems for the 8k kms i've driven it in three years.

Anyways, I thought i'd sign up just incase the next time it comes out for a drive something goes wrong and I'd have a place to ask advice.

One interesting thing, when I do a search from 2008 320i nothing comes up anywhere.... is that weird or am I doing it wrong?

Oh yes and its a manual 6 speed which the dealer insisted was not all that common in kiwi land.

Anyhow, stuff to do so a big Hello, and look forward to reading some reviews, stories (good and bad no doubt) from other BMW owners.

Cheers

Oh yeh I must take some photos, the new time it gets a wash I'll do that.

Welcome Michael. The dislike of cars from the UK has nothing to do with the anti Brit thing it's just many of us have seen the damage caused by the salt you use on your roads.

Welcome Michael. The dislike of cars from the UK has nothing to do with the anti Brit thing it's just many of us have seen the damage caused by the salt you use on your roads.

E90 4 cylinder models (N46) are exempt from these types of problems with there inbuilt oil and inhibitor recycling systems which does prevent rust, makes a mess and causes heart breaking tension on peoples wallets.

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum Michael :D

Welcome to Bimmersport!

I had 2 almost identical E34's at the same time a 525i manual NZ New, i.e. made in Germany shipped to NZ and a UK import 530i Manual. Same year, similar wear and tear. The underbody of my NZ new was far better, everything underneath the UK car that could rust had superficial rust everywhere. I had nothing on my NZ car at all. I think our better climate is better for our cars in the long run. I still have the UK car, the superficial rust is just that, and I can live with it, it wont get any worse here, as I have had it over two years and it hasn't got any worse.

I am glad you bought the 4 new cylinder things. I am sure it goes much better.

Enjoy this site, it is full of very very bright people who can save you thousands!!!

Welcome to the site :)

As for the "problems" though - can hardly include consumables - tyres & i assume you mean rotors in the equation - they were obviously nearing end of life when you got the car.

Heater fan though - FSI unit is just another common failure on BMW's, actually many cars for that matter.

Unfortunately e90 4 cylinders aren't too popular as they're plagued with problems. (See Glenn's reply above).
The general concensus (whether it's always true or not) with UK imports is that they're rustbuckets due to the salt used on the UK roads.

6 speed is nice and is indeed uncommon.

Welcome to the forum.