Sign in to follow this  
Auzeras

Places to scavenge

Not your typical parts scavenge though, it's not digging through rotten bimmers for that last original part. I'm looking for places like scrap metal yards that let people buy bits of scrap.

Started a few projects again and I'm looking for random little bits and pieces I can stick together as well as some sections of angled steel for a bed I'm making next year (amongst other things). Also need food for the lathe, trying to get better at that by just practising cuts of various angles, curves and perfecting my thread cutting etc.

If I knew what I was after I'd just look at trademe/china etc but part of the fun of a scavenge is all the random inspiration you get along the way. Anyone know of places like that around Wellington? I imagine most scrap yards wouldn't want your common idiot picking through their scrap heaps.

Not your typical parts scavenge though, it's not digging through rotten bimmers for that last original part. I'm looking for places like scrap metal yards that let people buy bits of scrap.

Started a few projects again and I'm looking for random little bits and pieces I can stick together as well as some sections of angled steel for a bed I'm making next year (amongst other things). Also need food for the lathe, trying to get better at that by just practising cuts of various angles, curves and perfecting my thread cutting etc.

If I knew what I was after I'd just look at trademe/china etc but part of the fun of a scavenge is all the random inspiration you get along the way. Anyone know of places like that around Wellington? I imagine most scrap yards wouldn't want your common idiot picking through their scrap heaps.

you are right, for the most part gone are those days what with OSH rules and various buyouts/liquidations of the small fish that used to let you through the doors.

E.g. This time last year Mana Recovery/Trash Palace would have been a gold mine for you, unfortunately they closed thier doors recently when various DHBs withdrew funding.

Only one that remains to spring to mind is Earthlink in Wingate, though i do not have anything to do with them

Send me an email tomorrow i will see if i can put you in touch with some other people on the same wavelength as you.

Any engineering place. Ask if you can go through their scrap bin. Take beer with you.

• Like 2