Sign in to follow this  
Blue Lagoon

E 46 Remote/Transponder

The remote function on my only key stopped working. I tried replacing the battery however found the that one of the buttons on the circuit board was broken. As it was my only key I decided to get another. I found one on ebay and have had it cut and programmed. Both keys will manually lock/unlock and start the car. The locksmith who programmed the key could not get the remote function to work. (he tried this before programming transponder) I tried programming the key (key on and off 5 times then unlock button while pushing the lock button 3 times)with no joy. I removed the transponder chip and was able to get the remote function to work, however of course could not start the car (no chip) I replaced the chip and the remote still worked until I started the car. After stopping the car the remote function wouldn't work. I repeated this a few times. Remote can only be programmed without chip in and it seems to cancel it after starting the car.

Any ideas?

ok. not sure if the programing procedure you described is correct. did you Google it?

Yeah. I've seen it on quite a few sites. Key to first position and back to off 5 times then remove key, hold down unlock button and press lock button 3 times. It works when the chip is removed however as soon as I replace the programmed chip and insert into the ignition it wipes the remote function.

You need to sync all keys with the car and activate one after the other to re-associate the lock-unlock function.

You need to sync all keys with the car and activate one after the other to re-associate the lock-unlock function.

That's correct. You need to figure out which one is Key 1, do that one first and then all others. Otherwise it won't hold the sync.

sent from my android