Sign in to follow this  
dirty36

E46 problems

Hey Guys

So I've been having problems with my E46 318i for a few months now..

basically when I put my foot flat the revs will not go past 2-3000 rpm and it will backfire a few times whilst I have my foot flat, But it's weird because after about 5 minutes of being stuck at 2-3000rpm it lets me rev all the way up (Varies from time to time 5-10 minutes). It will seem like a normal car until I leave sitting for a few hours.

Another detail is that when I have my foot on the gas the revs will rise and drop by about 200-500rpm at a time making it a really rough jumpy acceleration??

So far I have replaced the spark plugs, Cam positioning sensor, Pre cat O2 sensor, cleaned the MAF sensor twice with maf cleaner and I have also checked the rubber boot and looked around for vac leaks which I have failed to find yet..

I'm currently getting the error code P0170 Bank 1 fuel trim.

Well that's everything I can think of, any help will be much appreciated!

Edited by dirty36

What motor ? M43 or N42 ??

M43 and I also replaced the fuel filter. Forgot to add that in the description.

I suggest you get it scanned by a professional...it's likely to be the MAF sensor

It's an unmetered air fault code. Suggest you also check the PCV valve and the rocker cover breather hose

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

I suggest you get it scanned by a professional...it's likely to be the MAF sensor

It's an unmetered air fault code. Suggest you also check the PCV valve and the rocker cover breather hose

The rocker cover breather hose had no clamp on it at all, I put a new hose clamp on it but didn't do anything. I will check the PVC

The rocker cover breather hose had no clamp on it at all, I put a new hose clamp on it but didn't do anything. I will check the PVC

They don't have clamps. Check suction on the oil filler cap with the engine idling. You should have positive vacuum under the cap, but it should not have too much suction that makes a noise when you release it

They don't have clamps. Check suction on the oil filler cap with the engine idling. You should have positive vacuum under the cap, but it should not have too much suction that makes a noise when you release it

What's the best way to check the vacuum without oil spitting everywhere?

Okay I slowly removed the cap when it was idling and there wasn't much vacuum. It made a low pitch noise when I removed the cap (kind of like a Subaru) from the filler hole haha.

What's the best way to check the vacuum without oil spitting everywhere?

Keep your hand on the cap and gently lift it off slowly. If it's hard to pull off there is too much vacuum = PCV valve fault. If the breather hose has collapsed internally or split, this won't work

Keep your hand on the cap and gently lift it off slowly. If it's hard to pull off there is too much vacuum = PCV valve fault. If the breather hose has collapsed internally or split, this won't work

The breather hose looks in good condition and the cap was really easy to pull off.

So I unplugged the maf and it idled like complete sh*t but once I started accelerating it was like all the problems above had disappeared. Could this be the answer? I have cleaned the sensor twice which made no difference at all.