Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

M3 headers

Bit of a nerdy question, but does anybody know what grade stainless was used on the S50B32 headers?

It's either 304 or 316. I'd assume the flanges that mount to the head are 316. Are you modifying them?

It's either 304 or 316. I'd assume the flanges that mount to the head are 316. Are you modifying them?

Yeah, rearranging the output flanges and need to work out which rods to get. Have found one American thread that suggests T409, but info is pretty scant :(

Definitely use 316 wire. It might not be perfect but it'll be fine for an exhaust.
Also a magnet will not stick to m3 headers

Edited by Thorburn
  • Like 1

Definitely use 316 wire. It might not be perfect but it'll be fine for an exhaust.

Also a magnet will not stick to m3 headers

Not concerned about aesthetics, just want sound welds that won't leak or crack. Will pass that along to my zorst guy.

One would hope a magnet wouldn't stick to M headers / exhausts - would have to start wondering if they sourced their 'stainless' from China!

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Just because it is magnetic doesn't mean it isn't good. For example if you weld 304L then put a magnet to it once it has cooled down you'll find it now sticks

Bit of a nerdy question, but does anybody know what grade stainless was used on the S50B32 headers?

Have a read of this article I posted a few years back on the s54b32 exhuast system. Interesting they use the s50b32 as the test bed.

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/27126-oe-e46-m3-exhaust-system/

• Like 1