Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

M52b28 overheated - worth fixing?

I've picked up an e39 with the alloy block 2.8 Has been overheated, one cylinder has low compression (140) and its leaking oil from near the same cylinder. Are these worth trying to fix or better to repower. Cheers

M52 or M52TU? M54 & M52TU blocks are notorious for stripping head bolt threads when overheated. Can Timesert but I'd be too concerned about stress fracturing around the bolts to try it.

My vote is a repower.

Ok I found an engine to swap in from same year and model single vanos 2.8, comes with Ecu. Do I need the key and EWS module too? Cheers

I've picked up an e39 with the alloy block 2.8 Has been overheated, one cylinder has low compression (140) and its leaking oil from near the same cylinder. Are these worth trying to fix or better to repower. Cheers

this the silver one breytons from trademe?

I'm gonna tentatively say yes, from what I understand the EWS is coded to the DME. If you're swapping an M52B28 for another M52B28 do you actually need to swap the DME at all??

Yeah seem like I just leave the current dme in place assuming part numbers are same. Cheers

As far as I know the only changes to the B28 came with the double vanos TU update. Though Brent will be the best one to ask :) Good luck!

Yeah keen to get this one running again it's got those sport seats I bought off you in it. PO managed to cook it then rang me to complain ....14 months later

Edited by etwenty1

Yeah keen to get this one running again it's got those sport seats I bought off you in it. PO managed to cook it then rang me 14 to complain ....14 months later

Lol, what a winner! Maybe he was trying to remind you of your obligations as a seller under the Asshat Consumers Act of 1586, wherein it clearly states that a used cars engine failure, when bought privately on the secondhand market, is solely the responsibility of the private vendor to remedy or offer a complete no questions asked refund and supply a grovelling apology for the inconvenience?

Send Brent a PM to confirm, i'd hate to put you on the wrong track bud :)

• Like 1

It won't matter the EWS is not available for the engine I bought so will suck and see.

I suspect this car is cursed though, it had done less than 150k on a full replacement long block and new radiator that cost the owner 16.5k in 2007 due to being cooked by him as well.

Anyone after some intake parts let me know.

Running sweet now just needs a new accelerator cable and a pair of steering rack boots......

• Like 2