Sign in to follow this  
cave_boy

what should I expect

I've just recently missed out on a nice 325 manual coupe'. Before this I was interested in a 3 series as a nice tidy practical car that had a bit of class, was not overly fussed with 2/4 door or manual or auto transmission. However now a small passion has ignited and I have the desire for a manual coupe' but manuals and coupe's are difficult to come by especially in that combination.

anyway, found a 318is schnitzer on trademe that has taken my interest, but I'm wondering what to expect (if I pursue it)? only being a 4 cylinder compared to 32+ 6 cylinder models. Even if not able to compare, does anyone have any thoughts on the 318is?

and this maybe a silly question, but does the s stand for schnitzer, as in is it a 318i that has then been fitted with schnitzer aftermarket parts as standard?

thanks

E36 or E30? David has admitted to letting one of his E30's go soon. It's a 4 door, but one of the best around. If you would like and E36, look at Andrew's E36. It's an auto, but goes fast enough for him to get his first speeding ticket in!

I shouted him breakfast to commiserate. As I was passing through Ngatea on my way to Waihi.

E36 model. I like the 318is schnitzer, its a tidy looking example, but I have that feeling that if I owned it I would always desire a 6 cylinder E36. Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't read that theres not a particular amount of work that can be done economically to make them quick (as far as I know... but this would be the forum to tell me otherwise).

I wouldn't own an E36 318iS. The BMW club presidebt had one (one of the rare Homologation specials) and sold it pretty quickly as it was too gutless. Loved the car, but wasn't good to cruise around in.

The E30 318iS is the one to have, The E36 is too heavy!

It depends what you want from the car. The E36 318iS ( in my case, is a tester for a BMW car, as I won't spend the big bucks on a car/brand until I spent time 'testing' their product ) Obviously - this is my first BMW. Owned for a couple of years now, and busting for a 330 E46....

Anyway - as my research told me before purchasing mine, the 318iS is a 'around town' car. For long trips, show off the grunt to your girlfriend/mates, it won't get you very far. The 318iS is a crusing around town classy car. That's it. No boat/race car towing, skids or fancy stuff -- just good looking, safe, economical classy driving.

As I'm off to Rotovegus in the morning ( from Ak ), I can tell you then what a E36 318iS is like on a long open road trip. I do on average 30 K tops a week in mine around AK - so quite looking forward to opening that 1900cc twin cam bad boy up in sports mode :) A big differance from previously owning V8's or grunty sixes. Still -- the 318iS is a damn fine daily -- especially black on black leather..

:pimp: :mosh:

Edit to what the iS stands for:

Basically a 318iS is a six cylinder car ie:chassis/suspension/brakes with a four pot in it.

Also - iS is kitted with the M-spec aero kit ( whick looks damn sexy )

Make sure you get the full M-spec kit when buying a iS!!!!!!! I've seen so many iS cars out there ( or so badged ), that have the iS side skirts and standard front/rear spoilers.

Edited by 318is

trade me 325 coupe' that set my heart on manual coupe's

look at that price!

318is ac schnitzer that I've been talking about

I don't know if thats a fair price or not, its just got my interest.

$7,500 325 now thats really cheap compared to the others being sold, but if the car checks out alright that would be a really good price, right? not a coupe', but meh.

anyway thanks for the info, I think I'll have to go with a 6 if I look for an e36, a 4 may leave me feeling the grass is greener on the otherside.

perhaps the best advice regarding early e36 - is AVOID.

what about one with a full bmw history or the like? i have heard ppl saying that, but exactly what is wrong with them that isnt wrong with newer ones?

what about one with a full bmw history or the like? i have heard ppl saying that, but exactly what is wrong with them that isnt wrong with newer ones?

Early build years always have bad interiors. Also 92s will be non vanos.

Oh yeah, dont be getting a 318. They are plenty cheaper than 325's purely because their engine is underpowered, and they are plentiful. Get a 325 or better, or youll only have half a car. Also, sure mentioning kits is nice, but the point is no amount of show can make up for a lack of go. Oh yeah, get andrews e36, especially as it has excellent ACS wheels, which are next to impossible to buy(reasonably) and could be sold for quite a bit.