Sign in to follow this  
darrencnz

5spd gearbox options

Hey guys

My dirty old getrag 240 is at the end of its life, can someone tell me what my options are for replacing it. I'm running an M52B28 in my 1990 E30, currently running a lightened flywheel, 240 gearbox and standard driveshaft assy.

I've heard people talk about the ZF boxes from the newer model E36 etc but are there any other options i can go for as i understand these are hard to find.

Am i going to need a new flywheel (larger diameter) and will i need a shorter or longer driveshaft?

If anyone can point me in the right direction or let me know if anyone has something they want to sell, would be much appreciated.

Darren

A Getrag 260 will mount up to a M50. (I think!)

A Getrag 260 will mount up to a M50. (I think!)

Am i still going to get that lean i currently have with the 240?

I dont really know much about what model gearbox's came out of what cars so i just wanna make sure im doing it properly, i'd rather spend a bit more and do it properly and i dont really want to put another old gearbox in and would prefer something out of a 1995 > car if possible...

I'm running a 2.9 LSD as well so would prefer something with no 5th gear overdrive.

If you had a ZF 'box in there originally, you'd need a revised crossmember to use the Getrag units.

A suitable ZF would probably be simpler.

If you had a ZF 'box in there originally, you'd need a revised crossmember to use the Getrag units.

A suitable ZF would probably be simpler.

No its originally a Getrag 240, which is what i am currently running, it leans over a touch but nothing major. I'd prefer the solution that doesnt require too much additional parts and fabricating which is looking like possibly just getting a 240 gearbox rebuilt to be honest...

I'm getting conflicting information everywhere it turn so im not too sure, i dont really want to have to replace the driveshaft, trans crossmember and a bunch of other stuff just to have a specific gearbox in there...

So far the options appear to be..

ZF320

Getrag 220

Getrag 240 (rebuilt)

Be interested to know what modifications or changes would be required to run one of the other options...