Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Waioeka Gorge is beautiful Driving

Spent the last 2 days on a 1000km road trip from Gisborne around the cape and back to the Hawkes Bay.

Nice beaches up the Gisborne side but was unimpressed with anything past East Cape and the road wasn't much on the Opotiki side either. Its like travelling back in time not a decent coffee for the entire day.

Not recommended as a great day out to be honest

Best venison I've ever had at irish Pub in Opotiki of all places -cooked to perfection

Best road was from Opotiki back to Gisborne thru Gorge,scenery was amazing,little traffic and the kind of Road that just leaves you smiling and want to turn around and do again the other way. Highlight of trip.

Biggest surprise was following a subaru tribeca SUV for some time on Gisborne Wairoa Road, Handled hills and corners with impressive ease. Just hadn't expected a big SUV to behave so well on the road,impressive

biggest letdown some really young cap on backward toss in a late model Golf gti passed me on a blind corner and then sat over the white line for next 400 mtrs

There's a neat little shortcut that goes from Ohope through to a little south of Kutarere. Cuts out Taneatua and the inland trek that SH2 does after Whakatane. The gorge is a nice run, a bit hairy with winter rains as little slips used to be quite common when I used to hang out round those ways. Surprised to hear the pub is still there, I heard it had burnt down a while ago - publican that was there knew how to pour a proper pint of guinness too

I love the drive around the east coast. I,Ve done it many times, on bikes , cars and motor homes. But you can,t beat the South Island for good roads. I'm down in Nelson at the moment. Done Picton, Blenheim, Mapua and Motueka. Off to Collingwood this morning, through Abel Tasman Park and Golden Bay. Fly home tomorrow

• Like 2

I Fly home tomorrow

^^^^^^ In time for work :(

^^^^^^ In time for work :(

Hell no....... Flying out at 4.00pm...It's been like summer ..... I could seriously live down here. We have had a ball