Sign in to follow this  
MLee

E36 M3 Single VANOS.

Hi guys,

Does anybody know where I can get a S50B30 single VANOS unit? Or specifically the intake spline assembly with the central shaft?

Three guesses what I managed to do...

Not having a very good day.

Cheers,

Liam.

Edited by MLee

Cheers Xcel - however that's for a slightly different VANOS. Dr VANOS mainly service the American market, therefore even though they'll overhaul a Euro VANOS unit, I'm sure they won't have many spares if anything were to break.

I managed to get the unit out by taking the splined shaft out at the same time (however not sure what this means for VANOS timing - will have to cross this bridge when I come to it).

The nut on the end of the shaft was so damn tight! I don't see how you couldn't strip the minuscule hex off the end of the shaft trying to remove it. I see in TIS they also say to loctite it on? Almost as if it were designed to never come off again.

I imagine the shaft softens with age and heat cycles, making the small hex extremely brittle. It looks like the E46 version has a female hex in the end of the shaft instead - theres a good chance something promoted them to change it.

I think I know what.

Email both Mr. VANOS (the UK one) and Raj at Beisan and ask what they have in the parts bin, you might be pleasantly surprised (I was).