Sign in to follow this  
RipJaws

E30 m40 come m52 loom help

I can't find much information relating how to work an m40 loom into an m52 engine, checking e30 zone and some other sources it looks like you can man handle a c191 into an m52 loom... But aren't they only in the m20's? Can I do something similar with m40 loom? If not I will just rip everything off my e36 and swap it in.

Start with the original engne loom and work it into the C101 to get the various connections to the car established. The engine loom contains nearly everything needed to make it run, so easier to start with that rather than adapting the original M40 engine loom. You might find you need to rearrange things a bit to locate the ECU somewhere suitable.

The C101 connection will provide the ignition switch connections, dashboard, warning lights etc. Most of the pins will already be correct, but there are a few small differences between cars with this C101 plug, so you need to test where things go. If you change things anywhere I would change them on the engine side and keep the car the same - that way you just have a custom e30 engine swap loom.

Use really good terminals and a proper crimper. It costs a bit more but you will save yourself a huge amount of headache in the future. Wiring has to be done right for the end result to be enjoyable. Providing good strain releif to your connections is important too. Proper loom tape is also worth its weight in gold.

You should be using the M52 engine loom. The best way to do it is to get the E36 fuse box connector and a few cm's of the wire, then chop one off an M20 Engine loom.

Use the 2 halves to make you wiring adapter, then you have one end that plugs into the E30 C101 Fuse box plug, then the engine plugs it at the other end.

have a e36 m50b25tu loom , ecu etc , best option for a e36 with m52b28