Sign in to follow this  
Auzeras

Good Workshops for M30 Rebuild

I've had my E32 sitting for a few months since I had a motorbike which was more fun and at the time couldn't afford the cost of rebuild the M30's head. I've since moved to Auckland with a new job and now have a bit of extra money for the fun stuff like fuel guzzling BMW's.

So begs the question, where is a good place it get the head rebuilt? I would LOVE to do it myself but I'm a little thin on the experience and I have no access to a workshop or garage meaning it's not really a realistic option :(

Cam needs replacement + new eccentrics and maybe new rockers in addition to all the usual head stuff (leveling, regrind valve seats etc etc) and any other little electrical/fuel things that should or might need replacement (I suspect one or two of the injectors aren't working quite right, hard to tell). Head was done maybe 5 years ago so I think timing chain etc should be fine again a more experienced tech will know once they take a peek.

Anyone recommend a shop to look at? Based on past experience whats a ballpark for a head rebuild? Quoted about $300 from franklin cams to get a refurbished cam. Guessing labour $700 + another $500 for parts - Call it $2k?

Also I have to drive it up from Wellington so any North Island shop will work, can drop it off on my way up

Cheers for any input!

I doubt you will get that done for that price (2k) in a BMW workshop doing the job properly

Wishful thinking is my favorite game, have no idea what the current going rate for anything is.

I'm happy to look and provide an estimate... but I won't quote without stripping. These big blocks are prone for cracking heads and blocks. There are many other requirements to carry out this repair properly

An old forum member on here did the head on his 535i.

Head came from BMW, was a complete factory remanufactured head for the M30B34, may NLA but give them a call anyway...

my m 30 blew a head gasket(common) i redid everything i needed too and more because at that time i was gonna keep it for ever.I got new rockers i think (hardening was going..It cost nearly 4/5ths of what i ended up selling the car for (5500).thi swas at an independent BMW work shop.It also included a new radiator.

Just had my m30 head rebuilt for the e30 swap. This included a cam rebuild and regrind, done by Franklin Cams. Head rebuild done by Doug from Dougs Engineering in Puke (this is who franklin recommended to me). Recommend both unreservedly.

Came to around $900 total, including parts. Replaced around half the rockers.

I did all the monkey work getting out of the car myself.

• Like 1

Taylor automotive are highly regarded here in Auckland.

• Like 1

Sounds like I'll be giving Doug's Engineering & Franklins a call to scope out what the prices will look like. Biggest barrier to me doing it is not having a space to work, anyone renting a garage and engine stand for a month? :D I'll get a quote from a few shops incl Taylors just to see if it's worth just paying up for someone to do the whole job or if I should get my hands dirty.

Hopefully this will be the start of a very nice rebuild, if previous assessments are right when I pull the oil pan the bottom end will be in good nick and she'll go back together for another 200k.