Sign in to follow this  
jimmyfresh

Scored a cheap 525i (...thats actually a 523i)

So I somehow managed to score a very cheap 525i through an old family connection.

I've owned/driven a number of cars, my first being a Toyota Corona 1992, my favourite being a 1991 Mazda Astina, and the piece of crap I had before my miracle BMW purchase was a gutless, beat-up Mazda Familia wagon, which in reality was a rebadged Nissan Sentra.

My stepdad is a panel beater and every so often comes across bargain cars that people need to get rid of. Most of my cars have come into my life this way.

An old friend came to his shop with a 1996 E39 "525i", looking to take it to the wreckers. It seems they had come into a few large fixes that needed to be done, and were tired of the maintenance costs and just wanted it out of their life. He offered it around and no one wanted to touch it.

As soon as i got the offer to have a look I jumped on it, and took it for a test drive the next day.

Asking price: $500.

I knew immediately upon seeing it that i would buy it. I drove it to the bank, got the money out, and purchased it on the way back.

They listed off a whole bunch of issues and maintenance that they had done. I didn't really listen. I was just trying to get out of there before someone had second thoughts.

Within the next week i had sold my older car, for $500. Free 5-series essentially.

I had no intention of ever owning a beamer before driving this car. I bought into the myths of maintenance troubles, but you can't say no to such a deal.

Anyway, I'm a BMW-liever now. I drive it every day.

So far, i've worked out a number of issues that It had when i got it. They hadnt maintained it particularly well.

-Left front passenger window regulator

-Washer pumper

-Right Windscreen wiper

-Steering rack boots

-Park light

-Full service

-Removed roof racks

There's also a number of issues i have on my project list:

-All rims were kerbed

-Peeling clear coat on left rear panel by wheel arch

-peeling clear coat on front bumper

-missing front center plastic moulding line

-peeling clear coat on mirrors

-annoying buzzing/clicking sound coming from dash when car is off, and first few km's

-missing pixels from stereo and mileage counter area

So there's a few issues, but i'm very stoked with the car, and very proud of my new addition.

Thanks for reading my novel!

Chur, jimmy.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After doing research and checking the vin number etc, it came about that its a 523i, and not a 525i as it was badged.

It seemed that the 525i wasn't released until post 2000.

Japanese love to rebadge their cars aye!

Looks tidy enough, especially for $500!

The 523i was badged 525i for the japanese market, because image is important ;) It's still 2.5, but they were detuned a bit, so as not to compete with the 528i.

They're a bit bit sluggish off the line, but not too bad once moving... though you should see how a 540i goes ;) - a whole different league!

Welcome!

Welcome aboard mate! Good to have another e39 owner. ;) Damn good buy for $500 I might add!

Just curious what the huge fixes the owners were referring too? The things you listed seemed relatively trivial. Either way what a score! Keep us updated on its progress. how many k's has it clocked by the way?

@allanw Yeah it certainly feels like it has more grunt locked away.

Its great at overtaking though, speeds up heaps in the 80-140 range. My plan is to fix all the niggles, and then sell it on, add a bit of cash and get an upgraded e39. Damn fine car, but i want a faster one!

If i were to keep it, would there be relatively easy upgrades to get some of that grunt back??

@olaf I sold the roofracks to my workmate. Spent it on parts ;)

@twiggles The previous owners fixed the shocks, brakes, coolant system, and a couple of other things. By their account they fixed a few major things and spent a couple of grand in a short space of time. I think it turned them off a lot!

When i got it, it had done 157,000 k's. I've done around 7000k's myself. I find myself making excuses and trips up so i can take it for a ride. I've never owned a car where i've done that as much, before.

----

And to everyone, it was like a deal that came down to me like manna from heaven. Cheers, universe!!

@allanw Yeah it certainly feels like it has more grunt locked away.

Its great at overtaking though, speeds up heaps in the 80-140 range. My plan is to fix all the niggles, and then sell it on, add a bit of cash and get an upgraded e39. Damn fine car, but i want a faster one!

If i were to keep it, would there be relatively easy upgrades to get some of that grunt back??

@olaf I sold the roofracks to my workmate. Spent it on parts ;)

@twiggles The previous owners fixed the shocks, brakes, coolant system, and a couple of other things. By their account they fixed a few major things and spent a couple of grand in a short space of time. I think it turned them off a lot!

When i got it, it had done 157,000 k's. I've done around 7000k's myself. I find myself making excuses and trips up so i can take it for a ride. I've never owned a car where i've done that as much, before.

----

And to everyone, it was like a deal that came down to me like manna from heaven. Cheers, universe!!

Ahhh I see, I thought that there were underlying problems that needed attention which justified their selling price. Surprised they let it go for $500 after just getting all that fixed hahahahah.

I think your plan sounds good, especially if you do want something you will hang on to for a while. Find one in the specs you want and go for it, preferably low Ks too as these are harder and harder to find with low mileage and in tidy condition. It will hold its value for a a true enthusiast.