Sign in to follow this  
lordandrevv

front end replacement parts

hey guys,

I'm still researching the bmw i wana get (e34 525i) and in the "things that go wrong departament" there seem to be 2 faults that seem to be common (ignoring bad servicing causing other problems.........):

- water pumps interior goes bust cus it's got some plastic impeller inside and it needs to be replaced with a newer 1, that has a metal impeller at about 80-100k. this is relativley cheap fix.

-The next job is the front end (tie rods, bushings). This is the part i wanna know more about. What are all the parts involved? How expensive is it to get it done/get the parts and do it yourself...?

Any other problems i should know about?

My main inspiration wat this page:

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/e34.html

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

Andrei

i did a complete overhaul of my suspension mostly the front and you can order parts from stocks and it's fairly siple to do yourself.

front control arm complete with ball joints (inner and outer) $100 ea

control arm bushings $approx $50 for 2

tie rods now only come as a whole unit (inner an outer) $ not sure approx $50 ea

front bearings if they need to be replaced can be got from skf or saeco at $150 each if you know how to bargain.

new shocks and springs we all know how much these cost (i recomend doin this as you will enjoy driving yur car 100% more.

yes the water pump is a relatively cheap fix, while it's off why not change the cambelt? if it needs doing.

one weekend and your rocking.

change all fluids and flush cooling system.

while everything is apart machine brake discs (20 bucks each max) change pads if needed and do any other small things.

the end result, driving pleasure

edit: for e30, my bad, cant be too dissimilar

Edited by OLLIE

Guest Andrew

I have an E34 M50 525 auto - white - 200 ks - has had ALL that sh*t replaced.

For sale - 6g if interested + bonus I will be in Chch soon so I could get it to you.

cheers for that

I'm shure it can't be to far off. dats alwayz good to know.

yes the water pump is a relatively cheap fix, while it's off why not change the cambelt? if it needs doing.

i only want the version with the m50 engine, which is chain driven cams, but thanks for the tip. I only wana know, so that it doesn't come as a shock when it needs changing, or as a thing to look out 4 when you buy 1.

As 4

I have an E34 M50 525 auto - white - 200 ks - has had ALL that sh*t replaced.

For sale - 6g if interested + bonus I will be in Chch soon so I could get it to you.

Thanks for the offer mate, but first i gotta sell my motorbike, and that can be a while away, and i only got about 4-4.5gs to spend. If ya have a look on trademe there are better deals. But thanks for the offer.

A few of my favourites:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...8872&key=120622

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-41946786.htm

One's got 100ks, so it's mint, and the other has the front end done+tyres+battery... This doesn't mean that they're better than yours, but the price kinda makes the difference...

Thanks for all the help guys