Sign in to follow this  
lordandrevv

servicing automatic gearboxes

hey,

i was just wondering, when you get your auto gearbox serviced, what is actualy done to it? (i am particulary thinking about a m50 engine)

cheers

If they do it properly they should open the inspection cover too and examine the belts.

And make sure they use the correct fluid - BMW autos are quite picky - it has to be the specified grade for your 'box or you will notice problems.

'torque bands' or 'clutch bands' he probably means. most autos have them, and a clutch pack setup

and yes, they also do the filter, or clean out the gauze type filter if that's all it has, and replace the pan gasket

kits to do this are fairly cheap.

Edited by pug'n

thanks for that. I always wandered whats actually behind the scene of servicing auto gearboxes.

kits to do this are fairly cheap.

how cheap? where can u get them? how often should it be done?

cheers

depends on the car, both servicing periods and costing. I can't see them being over $50, it;'s a simple filter and a cork/neoprene gasket or two, plus a few litres of ATF. sparkle will know the cost of a kit, he did his not too long ago before the manual swap.

It'll prop be more than $50! Your auto takes about 2-3L of ATF fluid at approx $10 a litre retail for anything decent and if they flush a little bit through you could easily be up to say $40 just in fluid, then filter, etc and time. Budget around $70 or more - I had mine done before I did my manual swap but until I go home and look at the invoice I can't remember how much, but it was more than $50.

It'll prop be more than $50! Your auto takes about 2-3L of ATF fluid at approx $10 a litre retail for anything decent and if they flush a little bit through you could easily be up to say $40 just in fluid, then filter, etc and time. Budget around $70 or more - I had mine done before I did my manual swap but until I go home and look at the invoice I can't remember how much, but it was more than $50.

yuh, i was talking just for the filter and gasketry kit.

atf and labour will invariably be more. all up, $100 would be a sky high maximum I would expect.

I was thinking about a kit as well, rather do it at home, but then again if it hasn't been done in a while, a flush would be good.

Cheers fo that