Sign in to follow this  
Yusuf

Storing an E38 on space savers

Hiya guys

I currently have an extra e38 that I am pulling some parts off. I want to retain the wheels that are on it, and I am looking at options to keep the car movable.

I have a long narrow driveway, with the car parked at the end of it. Once I get the valuable bits off, I would need a metal man or wrecker to take the body away, without bringing a truck into the driveway. So, leaving it on stands or blocks isn't an option. I hoped I could leave it on some space savers, but not really sure what limitations I might have.

Firstly, although the car has no engine in it, I wonder if the weight of an e38 is just too much for the space savers to bear. I obviously don't want to pop the space saver tyres, especially when loading it onto a truck/trailer.

Secondly, the space savers might catch on the suspension or brakes, as I will likely only be able to find space savers off a 3 series at Pick-A-Part.

Thoughts/ideas please?

Thanks in advance!

Yusuf

Edited by Yusuf

any wrecker will have some nasty wheels with bald tyres they can't give away ring up Brent at BM World he probably has something about

Just flip the spacesavers around so that they have - offset ;) . It worked when I was parting an e34, plus it gave it some mean dish :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Good tips right there. I was also wondering: someone asked me for a price on all 4 struts. I am worried that if I pull the struts off, the wheels will bottom out, making the car immovable. Is that right, or would the car sill be movable, albeit dodgy as and dangerous to tow?

The struts should only be 4 bolts so you could load it onto a truck and then take the struts outs (provided you have removed the calipers etc first). You could probably tow it to the end of your driveway with no struts, it would just destroy the tyres and maybe scratch your drive.

back might be okay since its multilink, but the front being macpherson will not even slightly work when taking the struts out.

don't be offended but tbh even you asking that i question your mechanical ability for selling parts......

you would possibly be able to have some spacers made up so its absollutely rigid suspension????.

back might be okay since its multilink, but the front being macpherson will not even slightly work when taking the struts out.

don't be offended but tbh even you asking that i question your mechanical ability for selling parts......

None taken.

I am not a wrecker nor a mechanic. I bought the car with the intention of taking off the bits that I need, and had no intention of touching the suspension.

I only really considered it because someone had enquired. I have since declined to strip the suspension.

I would say that I have limited mechanical ability, and it is up to the buyers, off course, to judge the condition of the parts. In most cases I have asked that they removed the parts themselves.

Thanks for the responses so far.