Sign in to follow this  
arros

Where to look for sourcing from the UK

Does anyone know where to look for private sale bmws in the UK aside from Pistonheads and Auto trader? Looking particularly for private sale cars. Can't afford UK dealer prices- when I calculate the price of landing a UK car here. Also does anyone have experience with or recommend a UK inspection and export agent- or whatever they are called: showing my ignorance of the subject. Basically looking for someone who can go and inspect a car for me, take a multitude of pictures, and send me a written inspection report. Then I need someone to act as an agent to purchase on my behalf, sort the necessary paperwork and get it to the ship for export.

I have tried McColloughs shipping as well as UK website and they only work through dealers networks. Emailed another UK website with an NZ email address- asked if they dealt with private sellers. 2 weeks and they have not got back.

It makes sense of course that agents would work with dealers- online network of cars, easy to quote, no need to travel to inspect a car and higher margins between dealer and agent. What company would want to to piss around negotiating with private sellers hundreds of miles away. One example a dealer agent came back with was only $4-5000 less that a dealer is selling on tardme. Of yes its a good saving no doubt. Unfortunately I just don't have the dollars they quoted hence looking for private sellers.

Am I on a hiding to nothing looking for UK agents to transact private seller vehicles... but surely with an appropriate fee an agent will work for you, right.

Cheers

Thanks chap. Wow that's easy as.

What car are you after?

Excellent question. In many instances unless the car is new and high end cost wise it's better to buy here and negotiate with the dealers or sellers.

Excellent question. In many instances unless the car is new and high end cost wise it's better to buy here and negotiate with the dealers or sellers.

I can tell you right now that anything that costs under GBP10k will be marginal whether it will be worth it or not. Once you get up to 15K or 20k plus it is definitely worth it.

Not necessarily down to price, there are lots of models in the UK either not in NZ at all or rare are rocking horse poop here.

Lots more choice in the UK.

Not necessarily down to price, there are lots of models in the UK either not in NZ at all or rare are rocking horse poop here.

Lots more choice in the UK.

That's true...

dare i say it.many models ARE manuals in the UK

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-majority-of-cars-in-Europe-have-manual-transmissions explains why that is. There is no place for manual transmissions in large family cars and as the article explains, historically Europe built only small cars.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-majority-of-cars-in-Europe-have-manual-transmissions explains why that is. There is no place for manual transmissions in large family cars and as the article explains, historically Europe built only small cars.

dont turn this into a manual vs auto.Its enough for me that you can buy many models in manual that you cant here.And i merely stated that.

Edited by kiwi535

This thread just needs someone to chime in about salty roads and then it's all finished..

• Like 1

Salty roads= done. Over red rover. Heard more stories saying it's an issue than don't worry about it. "But it depends which part of UK the car is in...." Nah it frick n shows everywhere there, salt pretty much anywhere. But then a good inspection will sort out what you are buying, eyes open and possibly add 10% for contingency like repairs.= problem eliminated rather than solved.

I'm specifically after an E60 535D touring. Moderately rare , UK market seems to have a significantly higher proportion of D's.

Looking at £ 9-11K : $25-28K landed here. Haitoman I reckon you're probably spot on re sub £10K being marginal

There is one on tardme at $34K. Offered em $25k, guy said he wouldn't go to his manager for less than 28. The listing is 8 months old. If that is the true time the car has been on the lot I would have thought it has to start hurt by now. But then it's rare and there are no others on trademe so that alone gives them reason not to discount significantly.

Ok. Have imported 3 cars ex UK and usually expensive ones. Firstly buying private is a risk unless you are there in person as there are frauds out there that will take your money and not have a car to sell or the finance is owing etc. 2 of my cars i bought in person so could check them out ... $2k for a air ticket. Last one was from a dealer. I organised a Pre Purchase Inspection from the local Porche Dealer (seller dropped it off and collected it) and they found issues - $5k worth. Went back to dealer and showed report and he fixed them all so I bought the car and used McCullough to uplift and deliver to me in NZ. Fantastic service, door to door.

Would do again but only buying off a dealer. Presently looking at an i8 over there and negoitiating ...

Edited by RvT

Make sure it's got the right plug on it, and is DC rapid charge compatible or you may as well throw the electric motor away!

• Like 1

In a word, no. If you were extra lucky you can pick up a 2008 for say 25k NZD or thereabouts with less than 130km FROM A DEALER allowing you to take off 5k VAT, add about 3k shipping and rego etc. Add GST of 4.5k and you end up with the car landed for about 28k. A 2010 car here will set you back 28k....so not worth the trouble.

You have to go for something more exotic (Porsche, Audi S5, M3 etc.) to make it worth your while.

Edited by Haitoman

You would be VERY lucky to find a 2008 car that still qualifies for VAT refund. Would have to be owned by a business for the whole time.

Most businesses turn their cars at a maximum of three years, not eight.

You would be VERY lucky to find a 2008 car that still qualifies for VAT refund. Would have to be owned by a business for the whole time.

Most businesses turn their cars at a maximum of three years, not eight.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-707-vat-personal-export-scheme/vat-notice-707-vat-personal-export-scheme

So you're going to fly over to the UK to take delivery of your car then, and qualify as an "overseas visitor", to use that scheme? That would add about $2.5k in flights, plus $1k accommodation, living expenses, etc. onto the price.

I think you've maybe got the wrong Customs and Excise notice, there are quite a few relating to car exports.

My reply to the OP was related to using Autohub and BuyUKCars. I said nothing about flying to the UK.

Although Joe lives most of the year in NZ, Autohub is a UK VAT registered company. As such any car purchased through them will have VAT removed as per their website.

http://www.buyukcars.com/content/9-vat

You might want to start reading and understanding the web-sites you are posting the links to. You quote me and posted a link to the Uk customs web-site for a scheme which only relates to Overseas visitors and EU Residents, so I pointed that out.

Then you post a link to another web-site where the second section is titled: "VAT Qualifying vehicles" where it states "only if strict guidelines are followed" so it is NOT any car, even if it is bought through them, that can have the VAT taken off.

I'm posting this up so others don't get confused.

Sorry for trying to help...

Thanks everyone. Mucho appreciated. Sure I'd probably only look at dealerships. Probably not worth it for the car I'm after.