Sign in to follow this  
Makitanara

New bimmer owner

Hi everyone. Glad to join the community.

I've purchased my first ever bimmer 2005 E60 530i Msport and I'm freakn wrapped. However, buying via a dealer in Auckland, this imported 104km vehicle has its, well challenges. I've taken a 3 year warranty out with Autosure and elected for the Extreme package under urges from a good friend that has a bimmer himself.

Bear with me, After driving the vehicle down from Auckland on the Saturday, by the following Tuesday (4 days later) the transmission fault came on and I took it straight to Jeff Gray in Hastings (which by chance I had actually booked the vehicle in for a service that day!) The guys at Jeff Gray have said, there is slippage between 5&6th gear. "Requires a tranny rebuild" they said, BUT, Autosure got them to update the idrive and gave it back to me. So, I did some research and well it appears this car in prone to it, so I'm not overly surprised and very very happy I have a warranty. The Autosure guys have said, as soon as the fault comes back, it will go straight in for a rebuild. The car "bumps" when coming to a stop and has progressively got worse.

Keen to know if anyone else has run into similar situation and did the fault come back? If so, when? Not regretting the purchase at all, but a tough start to my bimmer journey.

Also, keen to know if there are any recommendations for a good independent bmw mechanic in the bay.

*sorry photo is the dealers, but reckon it's the best one!*

Edited by Makitanara
  • Like 2

welcome to the forum. hope you manage to get the car sorted. Trying to organise a HB gathering if you would be interested, see meetings

Welcome to another E60 owner . We are gaining momentum. Had a few issues when I bought mine but all fixed by the dealer I bought it from for free but my issues were mostly electrical such as motorsport seat front squab not working ..... motor replaced, both remotes not opening doors .... remote amplifier in sharkfin aerial replaced , electrical steering wheel adjuster not working ...... fixed , front top windscreen rubber perished ...... replaced , strong smell of petrol ...... fuel filler cap replaced , aircon not getting cold enough ........ seals replaced and regassed . Also have a 3 yr extended warrantee just in case .

Edited by zulu64
  • Like 1

Just petty things really and apparently quite common faults especially the front window rubber and the petrol cap issue . Other than that happy as a pig in poop with the car now looking for decent 19 inch wheels (it came on 18 inch Motorsports ) would be great if I could find some M5 wheels ,and want to change the rear silencer which is a heavy lump and give it a nice V8 rumble without making it drone so will leave the resonators in place .

Don't even think about muffler delete :P Straight through pipe was hideous, droney and headache inducing. Sounded epic under heavy acceleration but unbearable the rest of the time. Might be interested in the 18" Motorsports if you need to offload them :D

• Like 1

Funny you should mention the wheels as am looking to offload them . They are in really good nick with no curbing whatsoever , there are a few nicks around the bolt holes from careless wheel changers I guess. Tyres are virtually new as well. All were recently balanced too.