Sign in to follow this  
C.Ross

E36 will not start.

Hello everyone, it has been a long time since i have last posted on here (a long time since something has broke, coincidentally) anyway I have a issue which I hope someone will know what it is straight away. (1998 E36 318is MS)

I had a flat battery last week, left the key in the ignition and the ignition on the whole day while i was at work, walked out to the car to the battery being absolutely dead. So i ripped out the battery at work, charged it up... found out that the battery was knackered so i organised another one. this process took a few days, so the car sat at work with no battery in it over that time.

I put another battery in it today and turn the key to the 1st and 2nd stage of ignition, everything does as it should, lights on the dash come on... stereo fires up, fan cranks up... but as i turn the key to turn over the motor.... NOTHING. no clicking noises from relays... the lights on the dash dont change, nothing. Straight away Im suspecting the EWS II has forgotten my key... has this ever happened to anyone else or am i looking too deep into this. (oh yes I did have a quick glimpse at the fuse box, from what i could see no blown fuses) Oh and yes i did think it was a starter solenoid or starter motor problem.... so a few strong lads tried push starting unsuccessfully.

I look forward to reading your responses.

Edited by 3SeriesMotorSport

Plugged a scanner in? Maybe check Cam / and crank position sensors? Typical symptoms

cam and crank sensors would normally let the engine turn over, just not start iirc. Scanning it is a good idea though.

Plugged a scanner in? Maybe check Cam / and crank position sensors? Typical symptoms

They won't stop it from cranking.

• Like 1

They won't stop it from cranking.

That's correct, i should know better, haha

Hey mate, i had a similar issue in my e46. I'm not sure about e36's but it turned out my EWS and key got out of sync. i plugged INPA in and reset the sync and its running fine. If your e36 has an OBDII port and you would like a scan i am happy to help.

Edited by Willus

haha ok so this morning after doing some reading on some uk forums, I decided to try another theory, and just took a shot at trying my valet key in the ignition... low and behold it worked. the car started.... so i turned it off, took out the key and tried my master key... nothing. At the end of the working day, went to go home.... tried my master key... nothing again, tried the valet key, it starts.... sweet, so i drove the car home using my valet key.

After a short 5 min drive from work to home, i parked the car outside my house turned off the ignition, put my master key into the ignition, turned the key and... IT STARTED??!!!?? WTF? so fellas.... im waiting till tomorrow morning to see what it does but im thinking either a). it was a battery issue, once the car was running for a while the systems all fired up and charged and the EWS suddenly had a epiphany to remembering it has 2 keys in memory.... or B). an intermittent fault with the master key transponder, which will plague me for the rest of this cars ownership :blink:<_<