Sign in to follow this  
E30SIX

E36 Jap Rear Number Plate Bracket Replacement

My E36 has one of those disgusting staneless steel jap number plates holders, what do I replace this with if anything? It has to go!

I have done the obvious thing and removed the number plate and the staneless steel holder and have found I can not bolt the number plate up without the staneless holder. ( the screw holes on the reg plate do not allign with the factory holes )

Do I need to drill holes in my number plate or is there some sought of other bracket I can use to hold the plate on.

Cheers

get some of those 3m slide on clips lol ... or get something so that you dont have to put more holes in your boot.. more holes - more chance of rust. If someoens gonna steal your plates then they're gonna get them ... just find something that will mean they wont fall off ..

Edited by E30stz

get some of those 3m slide on clips lol ... or get something so that you dont have to put more holes in your boot.. more holes - more chance of rust. If someoens gonna steal your plates then they're gonna get them ... just find something that will mean they wont fall off ..

What kind of person would seriously drill into their boot lid to attach a number plate??? :blink:

Just redrill the number plate, easy as. I've attached my Euro plate like this - only had to drill two holes. If you have a sub you will want to stick some form of insulation behind it too.

Do I need to drill holes in my number plate

Yes...just drill new holes in your number plate to match the holes in your car that held the Jap number plate holder, it is easy, and solves the problem.

Cheers

Grant

Would you be keen on a set of mounting screws, they go for both back and front, i accidently bought them thinking I would need them for my europlates but ended up not using them. They come with caps in blue, black and white so nice and colour coded to your plate.

$6 inc delivery in Auckland, cost me around $9.50 incl delivery from the states.

Edited by E30stz

Would you be keen on a set of mounting screws, they go for both back and front, i accidently bought them thinking I would need them for my europlates but ended up not using them. They come with caps in blue, black and white so nice and colour coded to your plate.

$6 inc delivery in Auckland, cost me around $9.50 incl delivery from the states.

E30stz thanks for the offer. :P

I think I will go with the power drill technique at this stage.

Cheers guys.

Go Europlates with plate holder!!

No visible screws from outside.

I actually drilled my licence plate to get rid of that ugly Jap metal plate as well. No problems, and makes it look better.

On one car I had, I just cut off the offending protruding bits with a hacksaw and the rest of the holder was invisible. No drilling extra holes or whatever. What I couldn't see didn't bother me.

On my old plates I drilled new holes. On my euro's I covered the entire back of the plates in foam trim tape and stuck them on - They are on very well and will not fall off as I used good quality tape. Also no vibration from sub = win!

see now you all could get really crafty with this, i bought my e36 from JC northshore and i had a gay jap holder, so here's what i did\

i cut the gay bottem bits off so that you could not see it because it was under the rego plate, second mine was a e36 m3 coupe black, so i got a can of black met from repco, which was the closets colour match i could find, i then painted the top of the jap plate holder to that it not bleended into the car, so all you can see is the plate,

so that means, no

fool drilling holes in the boot(fool)

no gay 3m slidy clip things

looks orginal with minimal fuss

and everything fits like it was ment to

see now you all could get really crafty with this, i bought my e36 from JC northshore and i had a gay jap holder, so here's what i did\

i cut the gay bottem bits off so that you could not see it because it was under the rego plate, second mine was a e36 m3 coupe black, so i got a can of black met from repco, which was the closets colour match i could find, i then painted the top of the jap plate holder to that it not bleended into the car, so all you can see is the plate,

so that means, no

fool drilling holes in the boot(fool)

no gay 3m slidy clip things

looks orginal with minimal fuss

and everything fits like it was ment to

You sound like a real hero.

That all sounds so much better than simply unscrewing the numberplate, unscrewing the Japanese number plate holder, redrilling the number plate and reattaching.....

Cheers

Grant

Mine was drilled in directly to the boot. Don't see a problem with it, as it still looks like a numberplate. It was Jeff Gray European that did it, not me. Although Shelly BMW don't know howto lineup a numberplate because my rear one is a bit wonky. Shoulda done it myself.

meh sounds like too much work. Grant for the win.

I'd still rather 3m clips to your suggestion.

You sound like a real hero.

You mentioned gay 3 times, 1) How can 3m clips be gay, I dont think they are able to make love with other 3m clips of the same gender. Nor be married in a civil union. 2) vice versa with the bottems of the jap plates and... last but not least your a user name is 'bmw hero' .. I'm guessing you get hassled alot, that or your maturity / vocabulary is far inferior to that of a 12 year old.

Last question.. why does the car in your profile have bottlecaps if its an M3 ?

Welcome to bimmersport, enjoy your stay.

E30stz

Edited by E30stz

Guest Andrew

I'd also like to suggest that the majority of the of the jappa plate holders are held on with TAPE

they come off so easily

The hack saw became my friend in the weekend :ph34r:

I filed back the remains of the jap holder so it does not look to budget if I was ever going to put my craftsmanship on display.

Edited by E30SIX

i had a set of e46 18" replica wheels and they got pinched while i was at work, so now unless im cruising on weekends, it rolls on the worst wheels i could find, plus thats the only photo i had going on my pix phone lol

Edited by bmw_hero_m3

i had a set of e46 18" replica wheels and they got pinched while i was at work, so now unless im cruising on weekends, it rolls on the worst wheels i could find, plus thats the only photo i had going on my pix phone lol

I wonder if its even his.... If it is, it cant be an M3... I always thought that M3s had big brakes... To the point where 15 inch factory alloys (from Non-M3s) would not fit on... Bet its just got a Tardme M3 badge glued on with kwik grip or something equally horrible...

Anyway, on topic, the easiest solution is to just drill holes in the number plate - I mean its easier than pissing around with a hacksaw. Besides, if you dont have a drill or a hack saw, mark where you need the holes to be and just bang a dirty great nail through it - it doesnt matter what method you use, I mean your going to be covering the holes with the screws anyway.

Honestly, who would drill holes in the boot of their car before attempting to drill holes in a number plate. I know where my preference is.