Sign in to follow this  
scottr

2009 E60 550i oil leaks - any pointers?

Hi all, recently purchased a 2009 e60 550i Motorsport (and loving it btw ;)).  The car comes with the standard assortment of BMW V8 oil seepage/leaks (noted in PPI) which i want to sort out sooner rather than later.

The valve cover gaskets and timing covers don't seem like too much of a drama but the one of most interest is the alternator leak.   Looks like i'm in for a world of pain on this, but i'm interested to know whether or not the ex-japan cars come fitted with an oil cooler (had a quick look before but wasn't able to see down to the bracket itself) and what peoples' local experience was with this.

Any stories or help would be appreciated!

Hey Scott - congrats on the getting the 550i :) I've had my 2004 E60 545i since October last year and have had the oil seals on the engine done as they started leaking right after I got it. I have a 3-year AutoSure MBI plan (thank heavens) and the dealer covered the repair excess. Just today I've had it in for another oil leak and this time it is the main seal on the gearbox which is again a small part but 10hrs labour to get it sorted. Another MBI claim - making in total 4 claims in less than a year.

• engine oil leak
  • waterpump self-destruct
  • CCC (iDrive) death
  • gearbox oil leak

I do love the car but old plastic and rubber only lasts so long - yours is newer so hopefully you don't have to deal with so many things for s while. I'm hoping that after this year I can reduce my spend - as I've also replaced cracked cupholders, worn door trims and a battery. Glad I didn't spend more than I did buying the car in the first place ($14K w/MBI)! Perhaps I see Japanese cars in my future again . . .

Good luck sorting the oil leak issues - If you don't have a MBI you should totally get one once you have the current issues sorted.

• Like 1

Hello Peter and thanks for the reply!  

It's been a great car so far, although after 2 months of ownership I can already see the next 6 or so months of projected maintenance. 

You're right there - not sure what it is with BMW rubber but it doesn't really last very long.  I've only got a slight seepage so far up top but the alternator beads and drips occasionally. Hoping it'll hold out until the weather warms up as I don't fancy cracking my knuckles up in this cold.

Glad to see the mechanical insurance has worked for you, might be something worth looking into once I've sorted these issues.

You can talk to MTF Mt Victoria and they will sell you a Vero MBI policy on a vehicle you already own but this should be done when the vehicle has a relatively clean bill of health (for ethical reasons of course). Vero service is excellent. See one of my other posts for the costs and coverage types.