Sign in to follow this  
qube

E36 Mongoose Alarm wont start

Ahh yes.. my first problem with the newly acquired E36.

The car has been parked up for about a week siting idle, and went to start it a couple hours ago to move it.

The car has an older M60 mongoose alarm and the remote key flashed but didnt beep or unlock the car. So I went to manually unlock it with the key and of course the siren started going off and car wouldnt start.

Went out and bought a new alarm fob battery but still didnt beep or do anything except light up when a button was pressed.

Realised I had the override pin code card and did the blinking counting ignition sequence thingy and managed to get the car to turn over but it wouldnt start.

Connected up the other car with jumper cables and the car locked itself again so had to do the pin code sequence again and still cranking but no start!

I thought it might be the battery but the air con lights up, so does the OBC panel and the dashboard fairly bright so I dont think the battery is completely dead, I would have thought jumping it would work but no luck.

Any ideas before I call AA?

Thanks!

If it's cranking but not starting I'd suggest either it's not getting fuel or spark, one of the two. Potentially crank or cam angle sensor has died but if the alarm is the only variable in this (as indicated, you got nothing until inputting a code) I'd look more at that.

My experience, if it was the EWS it wouldn't crank, however without knowing how the alarm is tied in, it may still also be the alarm itself causing the issue. Any ideas on how the alarm kills the car? Does it have a feed to the ignition or fuel circuits? Is there any way you know of to completely override the alarm to see if it'll start (like a valet mode)?

At the moment I cant tell if the cars not starting due to an issue with the alarm, or if its an issue with the car/battery/fuelpump/crank or cam sensor or else.

I want to get the alarm taken out but unfortunately drivers door lock was replaced at some point so the key for the ignition barrel is different do the drivers door so without the alarm central locking, I need to lock and unlock from the passengers side. sigh.

How hard/costly is it to change all the door/boot locks and ignition barrel with a set from a different wrecked car with matching keys? - could be an option to sort out the key issue if its not too expensive.

Not that hard to change if you can find a set, EWS becomes the only issue I'm aware of but you can change the transponder chip in your key into the newer one.

Will see if I can get you a set of locks and a key, gotta raid an E36 this weekend for some other parts. If not I'm sure one of the sponsors on here can hook you up with a set.