Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E36 M50,M52 coolant flush tricks?

Anyone know how to flush out all the old coolant without removing the thermostat or removing the drain bolts on the block? Can i run a garden hose through a certain hose to push out the remaining coolant/gunk? Car is not running at the moment as the inlet manifold is off and the hose going from the back of the head to the heater unit has been removed for replacement. So far I have drained the radiator and a couple of litres of coolant came out after removing that back hose so there is a bit of coolant left in there I think.

Cheers.

If you can't turn the heater on you'll need to flush that separately which should be as simple as removing the heat control valve and pumping water through it.

Not sure how you can flush the block properly without removing the drain plug and removing or opening the thermostat... why can't you remove those?

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Not sure how you can flush the block properly without removing the drain plug and removing or opening the thermostat... why can't you remove those?

Because can't be f**ked :-)

But yeah, looks like removing the block drain is the best way to fully flush it out. The rad, waterpump, and thermo are all new so I don't want to disturb those for now. WIll do a proper flush when the engine is running again.

4 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Because can't be f**ked :-)

But yeah, looks like removing the block drain is the best way to fully flush it out. The rad, waterpump, and thermo are all new so I don't want to disturb those for now. WIll do a proper flush when the engine is running again.

:)

Block plug is easy.