Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Speedo error

With all this stuff about 5km/h tolerances by schools, I got curious on the motorway the other day and compared speedo readings on one of the Bimmers and my Lexus. Bimmer read 122km/h, Lexus, 111km/h, travelling together.

So, how do I find out which one is wrong? They are both on the correct factory size tyres/wheels etc. Any brilliant ideas?

Not sure if it's nationwide but they've erected tonnes of speed signs around Wellington that show you what speed you're going. When it says 50 my speedo reads 55...so not sure which is wrong, probably the speedo.

Still, I don't pass cops faster than 105 on the motorway just in case my speedo is accurate, but probably more beause everyone else seems to travel bang on 100 when a cop is travelling in the same direction.

E: BTW, these signs are all in residential areas and don't give read outs above 54kph so they're no use for testing 100kph accuracy <_<

Edited by Carl

Interstingly, my speedo is actually around 3 km/h slower to what's on a GPS unit.

When I first got my car (before I bought the GPS) got snapped a few times by speed camera when I was travelling bang on 60. Luckily, no ticket in the post so far.

Makes me wonder, how are they going to do that 5km/h limit thing, they might as well arrest the entire driving population!

South bound on the soutern motorway just before the bombay hills, is a 5km long section marked with signs at 1km increments specifically for measuring speedo error. Drive over the 5k's and see how far your speedo "says" you have gone.

The distance error is on your odometer, not speedometer.

My OBC shows the correct speed and at 110kph (on Speedo) the OBC shows 103kph.

Speedo error is, of course, why there is presently that ~10kph allowance.

Reducing it to 5kph is just more PC crap.

Did you hear on the news that some people were wanting the cops to give out tickets for 51kph around schools? Quite obviously, some people have VERY limited understanding of machinery or reality. I'm guessing that they are most likely non-driving women.

I'm guessing that they are most likely non-driving women.

can we all say soccer mom. 4x4'n it to save her children from certain death from collisions with passenger cars at 50km/h..

LOL - don't get me started on SUVs - everyone has pet hates - SUVs are right up there in my set of 'hates'... :angry:

Ha, I love them, I was driving around Christchurch all weekend in a Land Cruiser and loving the all terrain aspect of driving over round-a-bouts, curbs, and other insignificant bumps all at speed.