Sign in to follow this  
Ged

Sticky Speedo

Another ( hopefully minor ) issue.

Noticed about 30% to 50% of the time I can pull away from a standstill at junctions and the speedo needle sits at 0. Then it will suddenly ' jump' to the correct roadspeed.

If I am crawling along in slow traffic then it sits at zero most of the time i.e no recognition of me moving.

Generally if it is sticking at zero then by the time I get to 40 kph it springs upto the correct speed in a split second. Everything works fine from that point on..It just appears at take-off.

I have done the guage test ( hold in trip counter and turn key to ignition 1) and watched as all the needles popped over to full lock - apart from the speedo which sat on zero)

I noticed that gently tapping the plastic front in front of the speedo helped on the odd occasion and the needle then jumped but I suspect this is co-incidence.

Any clues. Is this a dodgy sensor on the diff or a cable or a more costly instrument panel replacement fix..

Thanks

Ged

I have the same prob, but mine is not as bad as yours - happens like once a month or less. The tapping trick always works for me so it isn't coincidence.

Sorry I can't help - nice trick with the gauges BTW - didn't know you could do that!

Bravo

Regarding the Guage test

Stick in e36 gauge test into google and there is a whole heap of information that the display cycles through before it does the guage test.

Someone suggested if the needle didn't move on the guage test then it was a duff motor but it is definitely ' sluggish ' as opposed to broken :banghead:

Cheers

Ged

Since you've done the test and the needle doesn't move, more than likely a dud motor. If you go to a dealer, you'll need a new instructment panal. Try a junk yard would be the go I'd say.

Those numbers that pops up before the needle move in the speedo test are irrelevant to speedo-not-working.

Thanks for the reply.

Definitely a small tap on the plastic front of the instrument panel makes it work.

Literally a gentle ping with my finger and the needle moves just fine ( when it appears stuck).

Do you reckon this still sounds like the motor or more a loose connection..

Not sure why a loose connection wouldn't manifest itself across all speed ranges though.

Its almost like the needle is being restricted in its movements and pinging the plastic cover releases the tension.?

Just a thought..Will get it checked out.

Same things happining with mine. Tends to happen in colder weather or first thing in the morning. A quick blast of the heater and it springs into life. The tap on the plastic also works.(sometimes) Checked all the logical things like speed sensor connections etc... A splice into the ground wire from speedo to another ground worked fine for some time. But its back to the same old tricks again. Look on the bright side.Its keeping the milage down!