Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

Written off E34 M5 3.8

On ‎5‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:49 AM, Allanw said:

I think the best safety comes from a car that AVOIDS the accident to start with. An E39 will out handle and out manouver a vast majority of tall 4WDs, and is far less likely to tip over etc. After that, is where the safety of the structure comes into play.

If I was going to crash into a deformable barrier with a 40% overlap at 64km/h (designed to replicate me hitting another car of the same weight, both travelling at 50 km/h), the Swift would be a great place to be.

Real life data (from Palazzo's post above) from Australia suggests the E39 is a much safer place to be in real life ;). 5 stars vs 2 stars.

If I was going to crash the right front corner into a concrete bridge abuttment at 80km/h, spin 360degrees and then also hit the oncoming car who was on the bridge with nowhere to go, I'd much prefer the E39.

That's what my wife did: Her face had hit the steering wheel fracturing her skull in a number of places and knocking out a tooth, the ignition key was IN her right knee, her left knee had some dashboard in it. She required extraction from the vehicle. She was in a P10 Primera, which did FAR better than you'd expect, after 2 massive impacts. The front right wheel was roughly where the drivers seat started, the front corner of the car pushed back to where the base of the windscreen should have been. Weirdly - the passenger side looked almost fine - the front gaurd was on a slight angle!

I'd like to see a Swift and an E39 AFTER hitting a concrete bridge and THEN doing the crash test :lol:

Airbags only work once...

Crashed my P10 T4 backwards into a tirewall at 80km/h at the old Taupo track. Crumpled left rear corner and shears lower arm bolt on left rear suspension - twisted roof. No glass broken. Laid the front seat backs flat (had a passenger). No injuries aside from a little whiplash and drove car back to the pits, ouit to the carpark and onto a trailer. Aint no concrete bridge but I was impressed with how it stod up.

• Like 1