Sign in to follow this  
danutt

how could i get a stiffer ride

its an e30 318i and its lowered on jamex springs 40mm at the back and 60mm in the front its got a good stance and the back is slightly if even noticanly higher because i load the car for trips

ive heard about hard rubber insert you can put between the sptings coils and they stop the car from bottoming out apparently

any body heard of or tried those also ne other ways i can stiffin her up she handles really well but i want her a bit stiffer

thanx :mosh:

Stiffer shocks is the best way and it won't affect ride height.

Dropping the car without stiffening the shocks will cause you to bottom out, ask Tim about what that does to your exhaust system, you need to upgrade your shocks. Time to go shopping.

thanx for the advice wuld a strut bar be of good use heard they can help alot with handling also sway bars sum1 here no where i can get sum or the price even a web site thanx

Use proper English

Strut bar is only good once you've got your decent shocks sorted out

You'll have a front sway bar but not a rear one, you can stick a rear one in to keep the inside back end down when cornering, but the shocks are more important

Edited by Carl

any other solutions i can try to minimize body roll sorry bout the english thanx

rear sway bar will help minimise body roll. Strut bar helps make crisper cornering etc as it reduces body flew - better grip too.

Shocks are $1200 new for anything remotely decent. and you can go up from there.

To get rid of body roll you have to go lower, get good shocks, stick in the rear sway bar that you don't have and a larger front sway bar than what you currently have, then add the strut braces front and rear, get racing seats to lower the centre of gravity and add the roll cage for complete rigidity.

Guest Andrew

To get rid of body roll you have to go lower

:rolleyes:

You want body roll in your e30 - it will handle like ass if it doesn't.

Jamex + Bilstien - is OK (and i stress OK - its not great).

But it would probably work for you.

To get rid of body roll you have to go lower...

Not quite right.

As you lower a E30 the Roll Centre Drops more than the Centre of Gravity for a given amount of lowering, this increases the Roll Couple in effect making the car more prone to body roll.

To counter this you will see lots of big a$$ sway bars availble for the E30 combined with stiffer springs which leads to lifting wheels off the ground during cornering, which may look kewl but isn't always a good thing (esp. a rear wheel on a E30).

Guest Andrew

To counter this you will see lots of big a$$ sway bars availble for the E30 combined with stiffer springs which leads to lifting wheels off the ground during cornering, which may look kewl but isn't always a good thing (esp. a rear wheel on a E30).

don't i know it..

The most important and best thing you can do that will make the most difference is to install some decent shocks. I suggest Bilstein Sports which you can order from Turner Motorsport in the States. Dont ask me please to work out the freight and exchange rate etc etc for you - do what I did and get all that info yourself. Plan though for a 10% tax in NZ on the converted purchase price ie excluding freight. After you have decent shocks in you will notice the suspension much stiffer with much less bodyroll. From there you can then look at the condition of your roll bar and maybe go for something a little larger in diameter. Dont bother with a strut brace until you have done all that. There really is no cheap option that will give you everything you are looking for so do it properly and you will be very happy.

don't i know it..
Exactly why I have stiff springs and no rear sway bay.

Seems to handle very well as long as I don't apply the right foot to quickly.

Guest Andrew

don't i know it..
Exactly why I have stiff springs and no rear sway bay.

Seems to handle very well as long as I don't apply the right foot to quickly.

I've got rear sway slacked off as much as poss - handling is very neutral - if anything pushes slightly through very high speed sweepers (like jennian homes) - only issue i have with lifting wheels is really REALLY tight corners.

Good point about the lowering Glenn, didn't think about that one

You know my suspension Glenn and i've not suffered from inside rear wheel spinning problems with my open diff...i'm assuming one has this problem because they're applying the power a little too early???

Guest Andrew

i'm assuming one has this problem because they're applying the power a little too early???

or don't have enough.

or don't have enough.

That would be the most likely reason sorry to say. Bring on the 2.3 you procrastinator!!

how much would i notice the standard 325i sway bar in the rear of my 320i (with no sway bar), i mean i can flex it with my hands is it worth putting it in?

Edited by nz320i

Yes, it's worth putting in. You dont want to go too stiff in the rear in terms of roll bar. A lot of the 320i's from South Africa had them as standard. Mind you, they also came with a lot of other stuff standard as well. But yeah, install it and go for a drive and see what you think.