Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

E39 recall

I got a letter from Jerry Clayton (sp?) BMW on Saturday telling me there is a general recall for E39s regarding a need for replacement front spring supports or some such thing. (haven't got the letter with me)

I'll be taking my car into Jeff Gray Manawatu to get them to do it, obviously.

Anyone own an E39 and NOT get a recall letter?

I don't know - I'll ask when I take mine in.

I know I got notified when I had a recall for a radiator cap with my first E36 - that was a Jappo import.

Edited by Jazzbass

I heard that the "radiator cap" recall was a relatively cheap way of BMW NZ getting a database of owners of older model BMW's so that they could give their sales people a target to aim for! :confused:

Rog

Have you got any more info on this? The E39 is down at BMW at the moment with a gearbox problem, a smelly A/C and a funny suspension noise

Mum would like to know because she is going down there tommorow.

Thanks

Ems.

I heard that the "radiator cap" recall was a relatively cheap way of BMW NZ getting a database of owners of older model BMW's so that they could give their sales people a target to aim for! :confused:

awesome idea, may have to try that out next week on passats or similar :P

How'd they find out those owners?

Other than countless searches on LTSA database or

student in the street spotting cars and write them down

I've booked mine in and it seems all the e39 owners were identified from data supplied by LTSA, so it should encompass imports also. Apparently its part of the front suspension which 'under certain environmental and driving conditions' could fail. The letter doesn't state the ramifications of a failure, but I figure anything to do with suspension is a little too touchy to not have right.

Like with all recalls, its totally free and requires about an hour and a half worth of labour, so the BMW agents like that game - guaranteed work.

If you have an E39 and haven't had a recall letter, I'd suggest contacting your nearest agent.

Guest Andrew

awesome idea, may have to try that out next week on passats or similar :P

do you have trackstar?

what VMS you rocking - systime?

I think all E39's have suspension problems at some stage, and not just high mileage ones either........ Not sure if it was at the same time as the E36 "radiator cap" recall, but many E30's were recalled for radiator cap replacing, this was less than 10 years ago too. Cunning stunts...........

i heard once that ford did a recall in NZ for the falcons , fairmonts etc saying the seatbelts bolts wernt long enough , but while the cars were in being sorted they did about 25 other mods that needed doing before they had problems.

do you have trackstar?

what VMS you rocking - systime?

was rocking oldschool systime until recently, have now updated to orion, sooo much better.

Hey Rog,

Thanks for that info, we got the suspension done today. BMW here got the info on Friday and have to contact 400 people apparantly, just so happens beastie was in there for another wee problem at the same time. Good stuff.

Kepp rollin G!

-Ems