Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

Clutch System Woes

Guest Spargo

Symptoms:

Rocking home via parnell today, I couldn't shift into 2nd coming up the hill, so I shifted into 3rd, and made it to a crossing, where I went into 1st, and as I was letting the clutch out, the peddle was vibrating, ala an ABS pedal, back up my foot. Got into 2nd with some diffuculty, but 3rd and 4th were fine.

Now at a stop, all gears are easy to select, and the vibrating peddle has disappeared.

2nd is still crunchy, but able to be selected after a bit of effort.

Possibly of interest:

Now, in June 04, I have receipts for my flywheel being machined, and my spigot bearing bearing replaced, and new clutch, pressure plate and release bearing being fitted. At the same time, my slave was leaking, so it was sent away for resleeving and rekitting.

Currently:

There has been no trouble with the system up until now, so what do you think could be causing the reluctance to shift into 2nd on the move, but not at a stop. My peddle travel is also the same as yesterday too.

Thanks in Advance,

-Sam Spargo.

e30 burn!

doesnt sound clutchy....dare i say g/box issues? bring it over for a drive sometime and ill tell you what i think

holla

Guest Spargo

e30 burn!

doesnt sound clutchy....dare i say g/box issues? bring it over for a drive sometime and ill tell you what i think

holla

Thats going to be a big burn, like a 2.7K burn B)

Yea, i'll call you this weekend, could be 2nd gear synchros? There was no warning at all, lame

Edit: a short drive reveals much of the same, but downshifting to 3rd on a motorway offramp is equally hard.

Gearbox mounts maybe? (looking for cheap fix here)

Edited by Spargo

bring it on weekend, ill jack it up and have a look too

if it is mounts, get sorted ASAP....as engine going into radiator aint cool and so easily prevented

Guest Andrew

hydraulic problem is my guess -

not to mention your clutch/pressure plate are probably rooted (they slip)

Will emailed to say that he thinks its a broken pressure plate finger. Or the release bearing getting stuck preventing engagement. Not looking at email but something along those lines. Will have a looksie anyway on weekend same, gimme a bell

Guest Spargo

Will emailed to say that he thinks its a broken pressure plate finger. Or the release bearing getting stuck preventing engagement. Not looking at email but something along those lines. Will have a looksie anyway on weekend same, gimme a bell

Yea, r3v kiddies are saying pressure plate fork (finger).

Give Will my regards and thanks... estimate of bill? I want throwing stars with the change.

I wouldn't want to hog all the e30 burn. Share the love.

/link to Love thread: "Love others feeling the e30 burn more than me"

Just get that $3k dogleg on TM.

Guest Andrew

Yea, r3v kiddies are saying pressure plate fork (finger).

Give Will my regards and thanks... estimate of bill? I want throwing stars with the change.

Around 300 ish for a pressure plate (perhaps less from BNT) - 25 bucks for a flywheel machine and 50 bucks to get it lightened and balanced (if you wanted) USD 160 for the 6 puck ireland engineering clutch (un-sprung) - 200 for the sprung one. The unsprung one is fine even in a daily driver (even though they say race car only).

Couple of doz heinken for gus (and cash no doubt)

Posted Image

Guest Spargo

Master is loldead. If not, and the box comes off, IE goodness will go in.

Irony, it died right outside my mechanics.

Guest Spargo

Master wasn't loldead... bits of clutch can be seen in thw whole where the slave goes, box off tomorrow morning... flywheel machine is a possibility, where to go... thinking pressure plate fork, whcih means the clutch would have eaten itself, correct, so new pressure plate / bearing / clutch needed?

Sam have spare flywheel if you want to get it machined/lightened or whatever to save time/hassle putting it in.

let us know how it goes

Guest Andrew

Master wasn't loldead... bits of clutch can be seen in thw whole where the slave goes, box off tomorrow morning... flywheel machine is a possibility, where to go... thinking pressure plate fork, whcih means the clutch would have eaten itself, correct, so new pressure plate / bearing / clutch needed?

def go the i.e goodness - will save a lot of coin and allow for heaps of clutch abuse.

Guest Spargo

Up for debate 'Drew.... will be keeping Getrag 260 whatever way I go, need to check if it will mate to an S50 (I think it will). Plus IE stuff will handle turbo abuse, correct?

How noisy is it in traffic? Will I need a superhuman leg? Can I have a go on thursday nite maybe?

Guest Andrew

Yeah i should be free thursday - haven't driven the race car in ages - could do with a run.

No - pressure plate remains stock hence same clutch action - no noises except for a squeak sometimes.

Guest Spargo

Worthwhile picking up their alu flywheel or should I just machine mine down (still haven't had anyone suggest where to do this...)

Guest Andrew

Don't know where mine got done -

What are your plans exactly? Your S50-ing now?

Guest Spargo

Your S50-ing

If I can find enough coin for a wrecked m3 by the end of winter - yes.

Its a coin toss really for turbo or DOHC, its either one but I really haven't made my mind up.

dont go alu...way too much bling. machine/lighten yours and you will be happy. i honestly would just keep the stock clutch disc..no need to go IE really...that noise is really f**king annoying

Guest Spargo

Was clutch plate - blown good and proper, the lining has come apart.

Andrew, does the IE kit come with a pressure plate and bearing?

What else should I buy from them at the same time? Urethane motor + tranny mounts? Their short shift kit?

Seriously now, exactly how noisy is it? You testing on fri 'drew?

Guest Andrew

Was clutch plate - blown good and proper, the lining has come apart.

Andrew, does the IE kit come with a pressure plate and bearing?

What else should I buy from them at the same time? Urethane motor + tranny mounts? Their short shift kit?

Seriously now, exactly how noisy is it? You testing on fri 'drew?

No - just clutch disc. Get the rest from BNT

Not that noisy - will be at testing this friday yes (trying another diff ratio and swaybar configuration)

I'd go at least urethane motor mounts -