Sign in to follow this  
318is

Question how how much my

Hey. I'm looking at getting a boat for fishin and general yahoo around. Does anyone here have a similar car to mine and own a boat of about 13 - 14 feet or tow something equilivent? Does it tow OK, and off boat ramp or hill's etc?

Car 96 318iS...auto, meh.

I don't really want to buy another 'tow car' just for this project.

Cheers

Been discussed before,

rear wheel drive + boat ramp = chaos + wheel spins / rust problem

So, to answer your question, it can be done, but not a good idea.

Yeah done a search for it - didn't come up with much.. Have no intention to get into the water.... the ramp down at the marina is a pretty good one.

Murphys law I guess.

I was one of the proponents against towing of boats with RWD low-powered, small cars such as yours (no offence, but it is in comparison to a 5-er or 7 or the all-to-common "ramp-hack" commies and 'coons)

However, if the ramp is flat and in good cond, a little wee 13 footer prob not too bad. I'd still be worried it might try and overtake you on the motorway.

Yeah I know. I live at Kohi beach, so a nice flat run around the bays to the marina is all it's gonna do.

I'm seriously considering selling the BMW, and getting a cherokie or similar to do the job.

Bummer to see the bimmer go, but hey, better than putting it in the drink or ripping it's ass to pieces.

Looking at a 16+ foot boat now to.

Edit: possably a cheapo 4x4 to just to tow and launch.

Edited by 318is

A 16 foot boat is going to be 900-1000kgs on trailer, which might be a bit much for the Bimmer. I used to tow a boat of this size with a 2 litre manual wagon, which was no problem.If your car was manual I'd say no probs, but an auto, I dunno!......

Diesel Surf manual, cheap as and everytime you get back in the Bimmer, you'll think you're driving a supercar by comparison.