Sign in to follow this  
RageX^NZ

M42 + Getrag 260?

Heya,

I have a Getrag 260? Gearbox from a pre-fl 325i.

I was planning on fitting it to my M20 320i engine to have a bit more fun, and save some petrol. Anyway, since i got it I have begun to think that the M20 is old, tired and only a simple 12 valve.

I have also seen a few M42's come up around the place, these seem to be a much better "technically" engine, and I am sure I could milk quite a bit more power out of one quite easily.

What I was wanting to know is:

1. Will my Getrag 260 mount to the M42, and will there be any ill effects?

2. If I mount the M42 vertically instead of at 30deg will the factory manifold clear the bonnet?

3. If I mount the M42 vertically instead of at 30deg what will I have to do to make the gearchange still come up in the right place?

I could just get a SR20DET for $1500 from an engine importer, but I figure it will be more fun to play with an M42.

yes i think it will fit ,

i also have for sale a 1.8twin cam engine M42 i think . and 5spd box that matches out of a 94 318ti and 98 z3 etc .

I think the M42 is one of the most underrated BMW engines around, and would love to see one tuned up. A good friend of mine has turbo'd his E30 318is, and it makes really good power, quite a car. I must ask, why would you want to stand it up? It would be a lot of work to modify the sump, exhaust, engine mounts etc. I have seen it done to the sixes to give more room to fit a turbo, and BMW did it to the S42 for better packaging reasons, but a lot of work for a road car? Gear shift mechanism is probably one of the easier jobs to do, just requiring the linkage and aluminium reaction rod to be cut, twisted and welded back together.I'm sure the manifold will clear the bonnet, as you stand it up the inlet will tend to drop down, again why? Can't answer the question about gearbox fitment, as I don't know. Perhaps someone else does. cheers .

Edited by conrod

I was wanting to "stand" it up to make more room for a turbo. Thanks for the info.

Maybe it would be easier to leave it in the 30deg position and mount the turbo lower.

Seems a lot easier to leave it at 30deg and work around that...I am very very sure that the m20 box doesnt fit behind a m42

why not turbo a 2.5? lotsa power

I think the added work of standing the engine up far outweighs the extra work require to squeeze an exhaust manifold in there. I would think it only becomes a practical option if you are going to build an all out race/drag car. There is a pic on E30 Zone of one such conversion, I can't find it at the moment though.

You'd probably want to get the Getrag 240 box as it's lighter than the 260 and has slightly closer ratios - better matched to the lower torque 4 cylinder engines.

The 260/265 boxes are for the M20 and the 240/245 are for the M10/M42. Not sure if they're interchangeable between the 4's and 6's

I could just get a SR20DET for $1500 from an engine importer

HOOK ME UP YO!!!

The 260/265 boxes are for the M20 and the 240/245 are for the M10/M42. Not sure if they're interchangeable between the 4's and 6's

E30 restoration bible lists 13 different Getrag 240 variations and no the 4's and 6's don't interchange