Sign in to follow this  
Jammasterjames

Varipower Fuel injection modifie

A guy on Trademe is selling under the heading: "BMW computer chip +45BHP VariPower"

Its not a chip, its a potentiometer that connects to the ECU. By turning it (changing the resistance) it is supposed to alter the fuel injection setting giving you a choice between power or economy.

The dude is trying to sell it for $85 NZ..... but if you look on ebay, its less than 7 USD to buy.

Has anyone tried something like this? It sounds dodgy to play around with the fuel injection using only a potentiometer......

Here's the trademe ad:

This works in largely the same way as a chip (such as those sold by Superchips) but does not require opening of the car's Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Instead the kit attaches to the wiring which is easily accessible under the bonnet - which in turn leads to the ECU. This kit also gives you fully adjustable control of the power your car develops. This way you can have power OR economy!

This kit makes the ECU supply ever so slightly more fuel to the cylinders and slightly advances the ignition. Together this gives you much more power

The power boost is varied by turning a knob mounted to a high quality potentiometer (similar to a rotary volume control). This can be mounted in the engine bay or surface mounted in the passenger compartment. A great talking point - and it works!

This is a full, comprehensive kit containing

- Connectors to connect the system wiring to your vehicle wiring.

- A high quality potentiometer (and knob) that can be mounted on any part of your dashboard, kept in the engine bay or tucked away under your dash. Enough wire is already attached to the potentiometer to mount it anywhere in your car. Ready assembled!

- Ties to keep everything very neat and tidy.

- Full colour photograph instructions

You will only need a screwdriver and scissors (or wire cutter) to fit! If you want to mount the control in your dash you will also need a drill to make a neat job.

If you want PROPER power gains and the convenience of a fully variable control then this is for you.

Average under bonnet fitting time 5 mins.

To wire to dashboard as well (if you want to) about 20mins.

This will not work on Diesel fueled cars and only fit to a turbo or supercharged car with an air/fuel ratio meter.

This will suit all petrol fuel injected cars (all cars from 1989 have to be fuel injected to use catalysts which need electronic fuel measuring)

post-5-1142333306.jpg

Edited by Jammasterjames

I was reading, probably on R3V, that you can alter a potentiometer on the ECU to adjust the fuel for different locations. Not sure if true as haven't seen it in the Haynes but it probably does the same thing and if it was an actual "performance" modification you'd have heard of it a long time ago.

Stick in the pile along with the turbonator

You can adjust the ecu with a variable resistor, this works best on L-jet cars as the effects of chaning the percieved efi air or water temp sensor output will change the fuel map, on the L-jet ecu this does not effect the ignition timing as it does on a motronic ecu.

This is good for fine tuning but not for gaining bulk HP as advertised.

i think im gonna get one just for the fun of puting sumthing that makes even the smallest difference in my cabin to play with wat alot of fun should amaze the bitches haha jokes does it even work

Guest Andrew

i think im gonna get one just for the fun of puting sumthing that makes even the smallest difference in my cabin to play with wat alot of fun should amaze the bitches haha jokes does it even work

where are you going to wire it into?

Wire it in series with the coolant temperature sensor, this will fool the ECU into thinking that the engine is running cooler than it is so it will make the mixture richer.

It sort of worked with my old Toyota rally car but changing to a Link worked much better.

Note: It's probably wise to put a switch in the circuit that will short the resistor out of the circuit, I had one a cheap one fill up with dust - then car didn't run at all.

Make sure you get a linear variable resistor not logarithmic

any body here know how to diy it??can you post pictures of the proceedure or even a quality link to how its done...step by step?the vehicle i want to perform it on is my 318i auto e30 i know i know but im keeping it for now just wanna do this to it to see if itl make a difference the car feels like its leaning out near redline...help?

lil bits done:

pod filter and heat shield performance muffler at the end of exhaust(not big bore)

thinking of putting a chip in

help appreciated

Some one should buy one from e-bay and post the instructions here.....

make it easy to DIY....... or as we say in Compton: "Ghetto Modify" :pimp:

Some one should buy one from e-bay and post the instructions here.....

make it easy to DIY....... or as we say in Compton: "Ghetto Modify" :pimp:

We were waiting for you to buy the trademe one, and show us the way!......

DIY it, the parts are like $3.50 from DSE or JAYCAR.

how do you do it?

Guest Andrew

how do you do it?

since you won't listen to anything we've asked or try to tell you - i'll tell you how to do it regardless what year your car is.

buy a variable resistor from jaycar -

attach 2 wires to it - wire it into the red/green wire and black/yellow in the engine bay (in the engine loom to car loom plug)

Turn resistor to max and get 45 hp - its that easy.

Just unplug your O2 sensor that'll richen it [if economy is ya thing ,just solder a 1.5v bettery across it] Seriously boyz dont F**K with these things. The main advantage of a chip is "altering the advance curve and lifting the rev limiter" The theory is "HORSEPOWER IS THE SIZE OF THE BANG MULTIPLIED BY THE NUMBER OF BANGS PER MINUTE" just get more air through it & let the electronics do their thing.