Sign in to follow this  
330itis

Cleaning your Lenses?

Hi guys

just wondering if any of you know or have cleaned inside your E36 headlight lenses?

How is it done??

im talking about the black bit inside, between the big lense and the 2 little round lenses

Cheers!

Edited by grinding low bimmer

Take out the radiator cover (the big piece of plastic that cover the radiator and bridges to the front grill)

Take the corner lamps then headlight out of the car, unclip (3 or 4 clips for ZKW, 6 clips for Bosch) then pull apart carefully.

If they are realy dirty or you are real anal, you can also take out the eye balls (the circle glass pieces x4) by slicing the seals open with a knift. Clean with dishwash fluid, dry throughoutly then reseal with suitable glass sealant.

Put everything back together in reverse order, should take around 2 hours include the "4x eye-ball" part.

BTW, if you knock the lights out of alignment while doing any of these, go to a local WOF station and ask them to use the beam setter for you.

My local VTNZ did that once for me for free.

An ultrasonic cleaner is the only way I know of to get the inside of the headlights really clean. Jewellers and the guys that clean house blinds use them.

BIG DIFFERENCE!

lights are sparkly clean just like new.

highly recomend doing this if you have a bit of patience and time