Sign in to follow this  
DrphTa

ideal turbo and boost

does anyone have any ideas on a ideal turbo for my car? e30 318is. ive been looking around on the net but cant find any kits that suit my car. only e36 turbo kits or e30 325i kits. And what boost pressure would be realistic? 5 to 15 psi?.

the m42 has forged crank and con rods (correct me if im wrong). so i could squeze a little more boost out of it on stock internals or is it just a matter of when the weakest links blows up?. any suggestions / ideas would be great.

thanks

Guest Andrew

get Maxiumum Boost by Corky Bell -

learn how turbos work etc

I mean were you just going to bolt it on?

get Maxiumum Boost by Corky Bell -

learn how turbos work etc

I mean were you just going to bolt it on?

lol no, i kno how a turbo works. i was just checking out the stats to see if its worth it or not. no not just bolt it on.... that would be pointless. im looking for a kit . so u dont kno of any? Edited by DrphTa

don't know of any kits for M42 but have look at e30tech.com. lots of turbo info over there. at a guess you should be able to get 250hp (crank) without too much trouble. just remember:

cheap fast reliable

pick 2

great thanks, good to kno some1 can read....

. im looking for a kit . so u dont kno of any?

if you find one it will be overseas and by the time you add freight and convert the crappy nz dollar it will be cheaper to make one (a kit) yourself

hardest part is finding someone who will make you a manifold for an honest price.

price it up first

turbo

manifold

injectors

fuel pump

link (or whatever you want to use)

intercooler and piping

tune

theres a quick check list for you

but remember theres a lot more to it then that list and i doubt you will get much change from $5000.00 there alone.

if you want to do it i say go for, but it will cost.

ok thanks i appreciate the advice. when u say a new manifold im guessing

a custom exhaust manifold needs to be made so the turbo can be plumbed in to turbo to spin the turbine? correct?. if so how hard is it to make one yourself? or is it best left to the proffessionals? what are we looking at, $600 and upwards for a tuned and fabricated manifold ?

and when u say link im guessing the ecu. a few thousand installed?. ive spoken to team mc millan bmw and one of the guys who works on my car has quoted me a few thousands dollars for bits and pieces lol

Edited by DrphTa

lol no, i kno how a turbo works

you say that and have to ask questions like this?

so the turbo can be plumbed in to turbo to spin the turbine

as is said above...read the Corky Bell book...there a lot more to turbocharging than you obviously think...

600 would be on the cheap side for a manifold..andrews link cost 2500ish and thats not including injectors which you would need for turbo..add to the fact the 318iS is a highish compy motor. it can be done, but to do it anywhere near decent to make it worthwhile would not be cheap (same as 2.5 turbo setup really), i imagine in the vicinity of 5K+ (very easy to spend more)

then take into account insurance/gas/reliability.

but it would be cool and if you have a long hard (informed) think about it and still decide to go ahead, good for you, will be keen to see results

p.s. i know of a 318iS turbo that has been built..lotsa power (300hp, dunno at wheels or fly) but cost upwards of 10k, prob round 15k (all second hand info of course)

p.s. i know of a 318iS turbo that has been built..lotsa power (300hp, dunno at wheels or fly) but cost upwards of 10k, prob round 15k (all second hand info of course)

yea a red one in auckland. i heard second hand aswell. i also heard it was over taking e30 m3's on the back straight of pukekohe <_<

with most e30 m3's @ ~200hp, you would kinda hope so!

a custom exhaust manifold needs to be made so the turbo can be plumbed in to turbo to spin the turbine? correct?

btw i was asking about the manifold... i can understand the way turbos work and how they are setup. i wasnt entirely understanding what he said Edited by DrphTa

ive spoken to team mc millan bmw and one of the guys who works on my car has quoted me a few thousands dollars for bits and pieces lol

haha who works on your car there and quoted you a few grand???

Edited by AntonyG

you are quite correct there Gus, and from me it is first hand info, because I did a lot of the work on that car. And like Gus says, go and buy the book if you have to ask questions like this, as you obviously don't know as much as you think you do.

P.S. Team Mcmillan charge the sort of money you quoted just for a bloody service!

Edited by conrod

seeing as you worked on the car, would you have any pics of the car ? engine bay, turbo setup, manifolds etc?

sorry no pics. Exhaust manifold was custom made,cosworth turbo, cosworth intercooler mounted under rad, Motec ecu, larger injectors, engine rebuilt with low comp. forged pistons, went really well, as someone said over 300hp. But not cheap, cost over $10K to do.