Sign in to follow this  
low320i

help getting motor out e30

hay all sorry if this has been covered somewhere before if so delete this post. my question is how many bolts are there on the e30 manaul gearbox housing holding it to the motor?

iv got 3 19mm,2 on the starter and 3 little 8 mm star ones(1 of which i strip the head :S)

im just in the process of pulling the motor out is there anything else i shold look out for?

cheers all

dont forget the big torx ones...

when taking engine out, remember Throttle cable, ALL hoses, wiring, driveshaft, gearshift selector mounting thing...pretty much just unbolt everything that looks bolted on...if it doesnt come freely check before ripping it out...ask me how i know

I'm still gonna maintain - pull the gearbox out with the motor.

With Andy on this one. getting the gearbox out by itself is a b*tch of a job, especially trying to remove the higher up bellhousing bolts, but putting it back in and trying to get it back past the firewall and lining it up is a real sob job!!!

You will find that you will probably have to lower the crossmember/motor to get clearance from the firewall to remove/ replace the box so just take the whole lot out and save the heartache.

(imo.... :blink: )

wonder if you could take out the m30 block with the gearbox on.

maybe if i unbolt, all the front off aswell.

Mate of mine had a 535 mill in his e30 and was always taking it out to do things to the motor/car/suspension/whatever.

He didnt have a viscous fan and used to take the radiator out first and then drop the whole lot (engine+gearbox) out under the car. (I think it would've come out without removing the radiator but he didnt want to risk damaging it?)

He also took the inlet manifold off but that was because he had 3 sidedraft 45's on the motor and they got in the way when trying to drop it out under the car.

hay cheers for the reply so its easier to pull the whole lot out? dam iv alredy undone everything and just bout to split the box off.

couple more questions

1 do i need the box out to put in new bushes?

2 when it some to lifting the motor where the hell do i hook the chain to i carnt find any jitch pionts or hooks?

cheers all

Were still on his car when I left SA...

did he get a custom manifold made up or was it branded? How did the 45's run with it? Too big? or bout the right size? I was thinking of possibly running triple 40's. Have any contact details for him?

cheers will :D

Front... although sometimes it has been removed which is NOT a good idea as the cam cover is spaced away from the upper pulley with it.

Rear... difficult to get to as it is just above the starter motor.

I don't take the motor out of the top of the car, undo the crossmember etc and drop it out of the bottom. I find it much easier and you dont have to worry about possibly damaging your upper bodywork when swinging the motor/gearbox clear of the car, but that is only my opinion....

Guest Andrew

If the only reason you are pulling the motor out is to change some gearbox bushes - then stop now.

Just chuck a jack/block of wood/something to support the tranny - undo the tranny mount - take it off and put new bushes is.

Same deal with motor mounts.

hay na im pulling it out az i snapped a rocker in the head and have got another motor lined up. the motor is now out and the enigne bay cleaned and had abit of a tidy up.

im just thinking of doing the bushs while im doing all this work on it.

where the best place to get a short shifter kit and a bush kit from and a rough price?

Guest Andrew

You could of probably done the rocker while the motor was in the car - or at worse take the head off.

that is awesome

i wasn't even driving this one!

glad to see you like my work haha grasshopper has been trained well :jap: i seem to have a thing with destorying pistons did the same in my old mazda. the end of the spark plug is all twisted to go with it.

hay man no worries i talked to the new owners of the house they said i can have the shed till the end of the week. yeah thats only one of the piston haha 4 of them have vavle marks on them :rambo: