Sign in to follow this  
Carl

M20 engines

Quick question regarding the M20 engine

Are all the M20 blocks the same, ie, you don't need to worry about getting the right engine mount part for M20's when planted in an E30 cause there's only one stock possibility???

E: I ask this because i've been quote slutting and the last bmw place I rang unexpectedly said there were variations...between E30's???

Edited by Carl

i should imagine so..there are block diffs but i wouldnt think so on the mountings..maybe just size?

you still going IE Ones? i might have a couple lying around if you want me to bring em down

there are different blocks but AFAIK all the mounts should be the same. Its just little differnces like where the oil dipstick goes in, steam holes etc.

I'm not sure but have been told that the M20 motors out of the early e34's (520, 525) have different mounting points on the block to the e30.

Apart from that I have not found any difference in e30 blocks (out of e30's) for bolt on bits. I often have changed a pre-motronic motor into a motronic one and all the bolt on bits interchange, including sensors. Even the old 525e block is identical to the e30 block externally.

Obviously there are different bores for the different motor sizes..

The second group of 2 numbers on the engine number will indicate the size of the motor (if my memory serves me correctly).