Sign in to follow this  
e88dood

how to find out any previous fault codes the car had?

Is this something only the dealer can find out?  I didn't think to ask what if any previous faults the car had and the dealer did not bring this up either.  Now concerned future warranty claims will find an old code and claim "pre-existing issue" or such.

The first assumption is that the car had no faults when you purchased it.  Usually shown by the lack of fault lights on the dash.

The second assumption is that they fixed any previous issues right the first time and recorded them in the maintenance history.  You can ask for the maintenance history

Cover your self by getting "all" of the car modules (computers) fault codes read, recorded by you and deleted.  You now have a base point that says anything that comes up is new.

Usually once a repair has taken place, all faults codes are cleared so they can ensure it's been fixed. So anything in the memory currently will have occurred since. It records the mileage it occurred, and how often.

Who is your warranty with and how long have you had it for?

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Usually once a repair has taken place, all faults codes are cleared so they can ensure it's been fixed. So anything in the memory currently will have occurred since. It records the mileage it occurred, and how often.

Who is your warranty with and how long have you had it for?

Dealer gave me 12 months and I am looking at an additional 24 or 36 (2010 120i E88), but I see mixed reviews over these warranties and sometimes people having trouble getting paid out, but dealer seems pretty solid so far and seems they'll stand by their warranty.  They are a main dealer here in Dunedin, not a used car dealer, and ppl rate them highly.  I'm discussing the car history with them now.

You'll be fine, most warranty companies are good as long as you keep up your end of the bargain as outlined in the booklet. The two that are the best in my eyes are Autosure and Provident