Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Chain or Cambelt driven?

What is the trade-off for each of these. I would have thought chain be better as that decreases the likelyhood of it snapping and reduces maintenance cost. But in saying that have there been many if any chain driven BMW's since the M10 ?

Is chain driven louder ?

Decrease in performance ?

Chain seems better, so why isnt it more widely used ?

Initial cost would be overwritten by ongoing costs involved wouldnt it ? how much does the average cambelt cost to do?

I think only M20 and M40 use belt. I'm pretty sure M50, M43 etc use camchains, could be mistaken though.

Initial cost would be overwritten by ongoing costs involved wouldnt it ?

Cost to the manufacturer, not on going cost to the owner. A Timing chain might cost 5 to 20 times that of an equivalent belt to make. As for maintainance costs, a belt can still work out just as cost effective as a chain in the long term. A chain might last 2 or 3 times as long as a belt, but cost you ten times as much to replace when the time does eventually come to replace it.

Chains are also noiser than belts and have a much greater inertial mass which is far more difficult to control and keep correctly tensioned... :bounce:

whats the replacement interval for chains? ie the one in my M10

Change it when you're rebuilding the motor, probably should change the oil pump at the same time

seriously the truth on chain versus belt is easy.......they both have their downfalls but unfortunately cost has almost nothing to do with it.......a chain of X length is cheaper than a belt & the cost of a machined camgear to suit chain is more expensive than diecast cam gear...however harmonic vabration from a tensioned chain is greater than a belt and unfortunately the length of pitch(ie gap from roller to roller or tooth to tooth) on a chain is greater and therefore when manufactured, the ability for error is higher especially after mateing 2 machined surfaces like the head and block DUH :drugs: :drugs: :drugs: :drugs: