Sign in to follow this  
GrandClam

1996 728I Key Remote Reprogramming Issue

Hello there.

I recently acquired a used 1996 728i and it's great.

I wanted to know what batteries to stock for the key remote so that when it goes dead I'll have some in the car I can just chuck in there.

However when I took battery out it apparently unpaired it cause it no longer works as a clicker as it did before.

I've looked up the procedure online with putting it in taking it out pressing the buttons and followed the instructions to the tee and it didn't work.

One thing I have noticed is that in all the tutorials the keys have 3 buttons but my one only has two.

I have attached a picture of the key so you can see what I mean.

They keys in the tutorial have an unlock a lock and a boot button. Mine has only the lock and unlock.

Could this be the reason it's not pairing and I have to follow a different procedure?

Any help here would be really appreciated.

120280893_325553115210402_2725567008014967837_n.jpg

Welcome Jay, pretty sure that’s a infra red key not rf, if I recall you point it at the red bulb under the rear view mirror but I can’t recall the exact sequence.
No doubt someone here will recall it, if I remember I found it on you tube. Mainly Japanese cars I believe also, sorry a bit vague but likely the answers already here if you have a good search also ?

• Like 1

Pics of the 728 as well please ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Breaker said:

Welcome Jay, pretty sure that’s a infra red key not rf, if I recall you point it at the red bulb under the rear view mirror but I can’t recall the exact sequence.
No doubt someone here will recall it, if I remember I found it on you tube. Mainly Japanese cars I believe also, sorry a bit vague but likely the answers already here if you have a good search also ?

Ah right! I knew something like that was going on. Thank you very much for pointing me down the right path here. The previous owner told me that the car was originally a Singaporean diplomats car so that makes sense it is of the Japanese spec.

There is a little red bulb on the dash board under the rear view mirror I'm assuming that is the receiver.

I found a few promising threads on different forums and this one where they talk about this exact issue but I still haven't been able to get it to work.

I've checked the IR signal is being sent with my phone camera and I can clearly see it is activating the IR when I click either button so it can't be that

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1709378-How-to-key-program-my-E38-Japan-Spec

I have attached a pic of the 7 series beauty here as thanks for helping.

Hopefully someone knows this sequence for the 728I because I have tried the ones in these threads (as unbelievably confusing as a lot of the instructions are)

and nothing yet. Possibly because none of them pertain to my specific model of bmw, I'll keep trying but help would be very much appreciated

120533963_2006635092806640_7989583957214843769_n.jpg

Edited by GrandClam
typo
  • Like 1

To be more specific I can get all the way to the red led on the key flashing but then clicking the button that would make the central locking activate doesn't work.

I have another key that I will try do this with as well but the key I have with me was working as a remote a few days ago when i got the car so i know for a fact that it works.

Some people are saying that being in sunlight can be a problem for this?

Also here are some pics of the rear view mirror and the dashboard where i suspect the RF receiver is.

I have tried pointing the key at both to no avail as of yet.

Thanks for all your help. 

120293312_2806789722922006_4813174459740871222_n.jpg

120261511_672956406664346_464215645469676145_n.jpg