Sign in to follow this  
conrod

M20 2.7 Race Engine

A couple of pics of my good friend Warrens M20 2.7 engine that has just been completed and dynoed today.It is running 11:1 comp. ratio, Schrick cam, ported head,Jenvey throttle bodies, forged pistons, Motec ECU etc. etc. It made 250hp on 98 octane fuel, and 220lbs. ft torque, with a very flat torque curve from 3000 rpm upwards - should be loads of fun! There are 6 very big carbon fibre trumpets inside that airbox, and it sounds awesome when you give it a good rev! :thumb:

post-5-1145852737.jpg

Edited by conrod

Guest Spargo

Sam = very very jealous.

Is that an Early cam cover chaps?

Edit: someone post this on r3v with the title "yanks can't build M20's for s**t"

Edited by Spargo

pimp

why didnt he just strap a turbo on the side of a stock engine?

thats a serious whack of $$..but its nice

Guest Andrew

250 rwhp? Thats pretty impressive -

Think i'd go a repower route to get that much power into my e30!

$$$$$$$

Flywheel HP Andrew! It wasn't the intention to build a full race engine, rather something with a good power spread. That said, the HP figures are pretty good anyway, for a two valve motor. Yes it is an early cam cover Sam.

Edited by conrod

How hard was moving the brake master cylinder to the drivers side? Is there room for the stock one under that air box or was he forced to move it to the drivers side? Do you think you could get away with leaving it in the stock posistion with a remote resivour and a slightly reshaped or smaller air box.

Edited by gmccormack

No way could it have been left there, the bulkhead actually had to be cut and recessed slightly around the airbox for clearance at the spot where the master cylinder was originally bolted. I don't think it was too hard to relocate it, and it has the advantage of getting rid of all those nasty linkages. Even the trumpets were colliding with it, before the airbox was even fitted.

Dam thats a fine m20, and 250hp out of an m20 is no mean feat at all. thats a very sweet motor :thumb: more pix of car :D

I took this car for a spin yesterday, and can confirm it goes a LOT harder than it used to! It feels like all of the 250hp that the dyno says, and the torque delivery is superb, a big improvement over stock. It is being raced tomorrow in the first round of the endurance series at Manfield, and if I am lucky I will get some laps in tomorrow morning. Will post some more pics on Monday. :thumb:

Nice tech 1 wilson :thumb: very clean. post up pix and mods in pix forum :D

Here is a piccy of the car the engine is attached to......

post-5-1148860574.jpg

any info on the brake setup for a track car with 250? suspension?

It is running 300mm front rotors with E23 four pot calipers, and vented rear rotors (not sure of origin) with 2 pot rear calipers, I think E23 as well. Koni shocks, with coilover rears, adjustable platforms on all corners. Car was going really well at the 4 hour race in Taupo on Saturday,was running second in class at the two hour mark, and looking at a top 10 finish, until it hit a big puddle and aquaplaned on the straight. Hit the wall on R/H side, broke the tie rod and bent rack. The boys got it repaired, but lost about 40 minutes and dropped to back of the field.Bugger!

Edited by conrod

Did the 6 hour race at Puke yesterday in unbelievable conditions,it even hailed at one point, I have never been to a race meeting like it! My 2 hour driving stint consisted of only 24 laps under the green, the rest were spent behind the safety car! Imagine going into the braking area at the end of the straight at over 200kph, with no more than 10 metres visibility! A bit nerve racking to say the least, you are just hoping no one has had a moment and blocked the track!..... Car went like a train, a few "moments" but we survived unscathed to finish 12th out of about 35 cars, so happy with that. Full credit to John DeVerre-Ellery for a well run event in atrocious conditions.

thats wicked.

So envious when I hear about race crews doing thoudsand of dollars and weeks worth of work in minutes.