Sign in to follow this  
325GRANT

no oil cooler on 325 turbo

because of where i have had to mount my intercooler it is impossible to put my oil cooler back where it should be so im thinking i might leave it off.

i know that with the turbo the car will be running hotter then before so can i get away with no oil cooler?

not many standard cars run oil coolers anyway so im guessing it will be ok.

would love to have other peoples opinion on this

cheers

hmmmm

on a N/A 325 i wouldnt be fussed..but i would def try run an oil cooler on a turbo....heat = bad. doesnt have to be a stock one, maybe the stock lines running to one of those square jappa things, mounted somewhere inventive..could always run horizontal with a small scoop and mesh for stones etc.

basically grant i love you for turbo...its deep baby

A properly engineered turbo installation will have an oil cooler of some description fitted, whether it be the standard factory item if it is deemed to be of sufficient size, or an aftermarket one plumbed in. A turbo will have a twofold heating effect on the oil, firstly as the lubricating oil flows through the turbo core,it is heated substantially. Secondly, as the engine now makes more power, it creates more heat, which is absorbed by the coolant AND the oil. As most 325's had oil coolers fitted ex factory, it seems to me foolish not to refit it even on a STANDARD car, let alone one you have fitted a turbo to! And if cost is your best reason for not wanting to fit one, then my response would be that you couldn't really afford to do the job properly in the first place!

Surely theres some magically big one out there that came factory on some large car/diesel which can be cheaply picked up for this application.

ok looks like i will be running one then...

i might have found one that will mount off to the side.

E30-323ti - nope too wide

conrod - "you couldn't really afford to do the job properly in the first place!" ... although i did say cost puts me off, what i should have said was if it is at all possible to get around spending about $400.00 on this engine i would like too. a lot of you wont agree with what im doing but this first engine is really a grenade or trial if that sits better with you. i have another engine im building on the side that needs as much cash thrown at it as i can, so any corners i can "safely" cut here i will.

Andrew - none, just standard. i really want to find an mtech 2 front but i cant seem to find one.