Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E34 front struts

I need some new front strut inserts for my 540is but I am unsure what the correct stem lenght is,  the internet says 16mm, but I am unsure. Anyone able to  shed some light on this? 

Edited by Herbmiester

Hey,  I ordered mine from FCP Euro.  Got the following and all fitted up perfectly.  Is yours a 95 also?  This is the 22mm (larger) of the two sizes.  Unfortunately I just recycled the OEM inserts so cant measure these up for you.

BMW Strut Cartridge - Bilstein Sport 34-030196

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-strut-cartridge-front-e34-22mm-strut-nut-sport-34-030196

Thanks I think this is the one I found some info that says the 540i uses that part number. Do you  have the factory sport springs or aftermarket lowered springs?

Factory sports springs, I think all the 540is's in nz came with the sports package springs?

"704 M Sport Suspension"

I did a bunch of calling around for shocks in NZ to find options and there was nothing available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRacin said:

Factory sports springs, I think all the 540is's in nz came with the sports package springs?

"704 M Sport Suspension"

I did a bunch of calling around for shocks in NZ to find options and there was nothing available.

Yes I did the same, all I could find were KYB Excel G's. In the end I went with some Sachs OEM Sport struts from FCP Euro, I combined this with a few other parts I wanted for the 540is. Interestingly that Sachs strut was NZD $146 plus GST and freight, $216, as opposed to the cheapest price I got quoted here of $335. 

• Like 1