Sign in to follow this  
DCEIVN

Outsmarting a Clamp

Yesterday my car got clamped as I for the last 2 months have been parking in the Capital Gateway Centre (Wellington) while at uni. Fortunately I have saved at least $120 (after accounting for the $160 unclamping fee), but $160 at one shot still hurts.

Anyway I got thinking today is it possible to remove the clamp (without picking the padlock). Removing the wheel doesn't work as the clamp won't get past the brake disc... How about deflating the tyre... This would obviously work better if you had smaller wheels like 14" But does it work at all? Any other Ideas?

Guest Spargo

Let down the tyre, jack up the car, slide and fiddle. I've seen it done like that, but i've never tried. Funnily this was also in welly.

Edit, assuming you've got the lugnuts out.

Edited by Spargo

So is it illegal?

Technically yes, but they did clamp it to something they have no ownership of ;)

Hack saw! I would have no hesitation! Leave the clamp where you got clamped, so at least they couldn't say you knicked it. Offer to get it welded back up if they moan about it. I'd do it. :rambo:

yes but if it is illegal and you hacksaw it then I am sure they would claim for the unclamp fee as well as damage to a damp.

However, being clamped on private property by a private contractor, is it still illegal to remove the damp?

yes but if it is illegal and you hacksaw it then I am sure they would claim for the unclamp fee as well as damage to a damp.

However, being clamped on private property by a private contractor, is it still illegal to remove the damp?

Like Eminem says - Just lose it ah ah ah ah yeah lose it ah ah ah ah a

(The clamp that is)

lol.... but they know they put it on your car over there... they have your number plate etc etc and sometimes take photos?

so if their clamp goes missing then.......

OR you could wait for him to take off the clamp then drive off without paying.

but then again im a black unshaven student wearing a hoody and jandals.... thats why i suppose he blocked my car in asked for the money and THEN removed the clamp

but then again im a black unshaven student wearing a hoody and jandals.... thats why i suppose he blocked my car in asked for the money and THEN removed the clamp

Don't think you got special treatment just because of your description you gave us, I am sure all of their "customers" are made to feel that special too!

Hey Mate, Them damaging your car is illegal[with a wheel-clamp]But it works the other way as well [Don't damage their property either]

The best way to remove a wheel-clamp is to Jack the car up [really high with a trolley jack] and slip the clamp down & under from the inside.[iT WORKS,BELIEVE ME, I HAVE DONE IT,] word of caution here; Don't under any circumstances remove a wheel-clamp issued by a court bailliff [impounded vehicle etc] You'll end up in Jail [bELIEVE ME,I DID]

Hey Mate, Them damaging your car is illegal[with a wheel-clamp]But it works the other way as well [Don't damage their property either]

The best way to remove a wheel-clamp is to Jack the car up [really high with a trolley jack] and slip the clamp down & under from the inside.[iT WORKS,BELIEVE ME, I HAVE DONE IT,] word of caution here; Don't under any circumstances remove a wheel-clamp issued by a court bailliff [impounded vehicle etc] You'll end up in Jail [bELIEVE ME,I DID]

LOL...

so do you deflate the tyre and wiggle as well???

Don't have to! 90%of the time they cant ratchet the clamp up tight enough. The clamp is designed to stop you removing it one-way only [they pivot is at the front, so you have to swivel the inside away & around/under the wheel]

I hope these are Council Nazi's you are f***king with

find a spare steelie with a bald tyre on it.. take off the clamp, put the clamp on the steelie and drive off.

edit - chain their clamp up for trespassing on your steelie ... (and so no-one thinks you stole it when someone else does)

Edited by E30stz

hahaha

nah not council... private.. i paid for it at the time coz i really needed the car and it was in a mian shopping centre carpark... wasn;t going to get away with it.. but good to know for future.

Best way to get the clamp off your car:

Pay off the bills.

Two months of illegal parking, you earned that clamp well & good.

$160 for 2 months of parking = $4 per day, try getting that anywhere else in town.

Best way to get the clamp off your car:

Pay off the bills.

Agreed

<-- Officer Jon says "be a good student and take the bus"

Guest Andrew

I hate wellington parking - i am not paying my ticket i got down there outside Tane's house 2 weeks ago. I MEAN A TICKET ON A RESIDENTIAL STREET!

I think the best thing to do is make your own clamp

when you park and don't want to pay, clamp it up

and they will just think someone got there first

yes yes I know I'm a genius

What did you geta ticket for Andy, parking illegally, or parking in residential zone without coupon during the week?

Bus costs me $7 return.

But I have to take into acct my traveling around wellington, i.e. to coach hockey etc etc.

Bus = too time consuming.

My plan is to buy a motorbike, save on parking and petrol It should hopefully pay itself off by next year easy.

Guest Andrew

What did you geta ticket for Andy, parking illegally, or parking in residential zone without coupon during the week?

residential zone dammit

Bus costs me $7 return.

But I have to take into acct my traveling around wellington, i.e. to coach hockey etc etc.

Bus = too time consuming.

My plan is to buy a motorbike, save on parking and petrol It should hopefully pay itself off by next year easy.

I was contemplating getting a vespa but even 2nd hand they can be more expensive than a car! :wacko:

yea bike will be up there with price but I figured I'll continue with it... sets back plans on the car for a while though...

Hey , With private parking what THEY are doing is 'placing a lien'[with-holding] your car by clamping it [because they have reasonable grounds that you may abscond without paying for their time]

If you can remove it [without damaging it] and get off their property, they then cannot touch your car. They can bill you and legally recover your debt to them.

Once You've removed the clamp [they ratchett like Handcuffs]Find the most expensive vehicle on the lot [hopefully the Chairman of the board or somebody important] and clamp their car. Let somebody else give them grief [it's easier]+ these vermon might listen to them for a change